Can any D1 students tell me how the class calender looks like at Pitt & Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maregbe1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know I might be asking for a lot here but I really think this is very important if one is trying to make a decision between schools.

For Penn:
I already have a sample class schedule from Penn for Fall and Spring semesters. I was wondering if there was any order to it and if not was it difficult to coupe w/ the scheduling of the classes (which seems so random). I am not nit picking, I am just curious. If anyone from Penn can give me some info, it would be nice and I would appreciate it greatly.

For Pitt:
All I know is that they have 3 semesters a year and they complete all the classes which enables you to take the boards after your first year. I also recently learned they have a hybrid PBL w/ traditional class lecture (which I Like). My question is can any Pitt students supply me with their class schedule for fall or maybe spring or summer. I just want to get a feel of the how classes are loaded for a week to week schedule. I know I am asking for a lot and would appreciate any info provided.

Members don't see this ad.

Hybrid PBL? at Pitt? If I remember correctly, they said that they have done away with the PBL portion of the curriculum.

i could be wrong though.

Hybrid PBL? at Pitt? If I remember correctly, they said that they have done away with the PBL portion of the curriculum.

i could be wrong though.

You could be right, I am not really sure how the curriculum is there

Members don't see this ad :)

i could be wrong though.

We HAD a PBL class sometime during second year. But if I remember correctly, we were the last class that was going to be taking it. So it shouldn't be in the schedule anymore...

i'm a D1 at Penn and the schedule is more or less random, meaning you have to keep it pretty close to you. But its no big deal. I actually like it. it breaks up the flow of the weeks. Some days we all have 4 lectures, other days i may have 1 lecture and Dent Sim, while a friend just has that lecture and gets to roll out afterwards, or spend some extra time studying. its again, no problem. some day we walk into class and realize, "oh look, a new class starts today". I'd say the most "dreadful" thing is that we're usually in one room and sometimes they'll move us to another room, which is clearly stated on the schedule. no biggie, just it'll jus take another 1min or 2 to walk down the hall.

We HAD a PBL class sometime during second year. But if I remember correctly, we were the last class that was going to be taking it. So it shouldn't be in the schedule anymore...

Thanks for the clarification beannaithe. That's the way that I understood the elimination of the PBL course when the Pitt students explained it during my interview day.