Can any one let me know what they think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ag817780

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I have a shot at getting accepted to any audiology schools.

I am in my last semester, finishing with my bachelors in Communication disorder sciences. I had a bit of a bad start to my college carrier when I first began. To break it down...I have a 3.2 major gpa, over all 3.03 and past 60 units about a 3.2.

The head/chair of audiology department is giving me a letter of rec, as well as 2 other audiology professors. In addition I am doing research with one of the professors, and with the other I am doing audiology clinic.

I've also contacted some of the professors from some of the schools I will be applying to. Few of them are willing to meet with me during ASHA in November.

I still need to take the GRE's :(. I am really bad at standardize testings and math.

I was just wondering if I still have a chance if I completely screw up on my GRE's. I am really worried about this test.

Members don't see this ad.

dude. you seriously need to stop reposting the same post. you have some responses in another thread. at this point i think the people on this forum (including me) are not sure if you're a person or a spam robot so i wouldn't expect too many more responses until you post a response.

am i talking to a spam robot?????

dude. you seriously need to stop reposting the same post. you have some responses in another thread. at this point i think the people on this forum (including me) are not sure if you're a person or a spam robot so i wouldn't expect too many more responses until you post a response.

am i talking to a spam robot?????

THIS.
I wouldn't want to be in a cohort with someone who acts like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I'm sorry. I"m not a spammer, I'm just new to this site. I'm just really worried about my future.

Again I apologize. And I will remove the other posts.

Wow I'm sorry. I"m not a spammer, I'm just new to this site. I'm just really worried about my future.

If you have any questions on how to use the site (including how to edit posts), feel free to PM me. There should be a link for private messaging towards the left side of the screen under my user name. You are also more than welcome to send me questions regarding the application process. I'm an entering first year and I'm fresh off the process.

Keep an optimistic view towards the future, ag817780. If you work hard enough, it will pay off for you in the end.

THIS.
I wouldn't want to be in a cohort with someone who acts like this.

i will not apologize for having a sense of humor which everyone knows is difficult to convey via the internet so perhaps you didn't pick up on the fact that i was not trying to be an *******. i'm guessing that you scored "Judgement" on the Meyers-Briggs? nice to know you've passed one on me.

good to know you're a real person ag! i was sincerely beginning to wonder based on the duplicate posts and didn't want to feel like an idiot sharing advice if i was talking to spam bot! welcome to the forum and i wish you all the best in your applications. i think the advice that others offered is great and i'm sure you'll get in somewhere!

Thanks Cidanu,

One thing I was wondering. Do most people who apply to audiology schools have clinic and research experience? My professor told me that most people don't and that it gives me a little advantage.

With my GPA I'm honestly not really expecting to get in to any top schools.

Do most people who apply to audiology schools have clinic and research experience? My professor told me that most people don't and that it gives me a little advantage.

some do, many don't. only a couple in my cohort came in with clinic experience. most people had at least observed an audiologist before.

most people had not done independent research. some people had worked as research assistants.

it's really varied honestly.

as far as the GRE the word on the street is that our program has a minimum level (which is 1000) but they sometimes make exceptions. i can't really confirm that it's just what people say. most people didn't have scores significantly higher than the cutoff.

i will not apologize for having a sense of humor which everyone knows is difficult to convey via the internet so perhaps you didn't pick up on the fact that i was not trying to be an *******. i'm guessing that you scored "Judgement" on the Meyers-Briggs? nice to know you've passed one on me.
Cidanu, I was agreeing with you. "THIS." means "I AGREE WITH THIS." I apologize that I was unclear about it. I wouldn't want to be in a cohort with someone who spams... Spamming in conversation is worse than online!

Thanks Cidanu,

One thing I was wondering. Do most people who apply to audiology schools have clinic and research experience? My professor told me that most people don't and that it gives me a little advantage.

With my GPA I'm honestly not really expecting to get in to any top schools.

Look, I'm sorry I came down hard on you, but it's really irritating to think that there is a lot of discussion going on with 10 new thread posts and then finding out (after waiting for each thread to load on my phone) that they're all the same exact post.

The advice I gave you in my initial post still stands.

What Cidanu said is fairly accurate. Most people do not do undergraduate research. I did, because that's my area of interest, but most don't. Many people do have clinical observation hours as a part of their undergraduate coursework, so you don't necessarily have an advantage there, but it's good to have it anyway. GPA is just a number. I don't know about a <3.4 average in major-related studies, though. Did you have difficult professors?

Ultimately, it depends on the program. So, like I said, contact programs in which you're interested and see what they're like. If they accept 20/year and they're in podunk-ville and not 'rated' on the USNews list, they probably don't get as many applicants as Vanderbilt, just because a lot of people pay more attention to that list than they should. Use the ASHA EdFind to find schools in areas you'd be happy living in.

Look, I'm sorry I came down hard on you, but it's really irritating to think that there is a lot of discussion going on with 10 new thread posts and then finding out (after waiting for each thread to load on my phone) that they're all the same exact post.

The advice I gave you in my initial post still stands.

What Cidanu said is fairly accurate. Most people do not do undergraduate research. I did, because that's my area of interest, but most don't. Many people do have clinical observation hours as a part of their undergraduate coursework, so you don't necessarily have an advantage there, but it's good to have it anyway. GPA is just a number. I don't know about a <3.4 average in major-related studies, though. Did you have difficult professors?

Ultimately, it depends on the program. So, like I said, contact programs in which you're interested and see what they're like. If they accept 20/year and they're in podunk-ville and not 'rated' on the USNews list, they probably don't get as many applicants as Vanderbilt, just because a lot of people pay more attention to that list than they should. Use the ASHA EdFind to find schools in areas you'd be happy living in.

My Professors weren't much difficult, with the exception of only one. My GPA is low mostly because of my first few years of college (community college) before I transferred to a 4 year university (CSUN). I have showed a major upward improvement in my grades...but the old grades still haunt me. And most of them were in classes like history and Art.

I'm really trying to go to ATSU. I have emailed the faculty and asked them if I can meet any one of them during the ASHA convention this coming November. One of the professors who also happens to be part of the administration told me he would be happy to meet with me.

I am just trying to do every thing possible to show that I am ready for a doctorates program. Graduating high school with a 2.1 GPA and transfering to a 4 year university with a 2.8. Getting this far was tough and applying to a doctorates program....well I never thought I would get this far.

Thank you all for your comments and I would appreciate any feed back or guidance. This next 4 months are going to be bumpy.

Cidanu, I was agreeing with you. "THIS." means "I AGREE WITH THIS." I apologize that I was unclear about it. I wouldn't want to be in a cohort with someone who spams... Spamming in conversation is worse than online!

haha. oops! sorry - i'm the one that didn't understand your post!!!! good to know we're still homeys. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My Professors weren't much difficult, with the exception of only one. My GPA is low mostly because of my first few years of college (community college) before I transferred to a 4 year university (CSUN). I have showed a major upward improvement in my grades...but the old grades still haunt me. And most of them were in classes like history and Art.

I'm really trying to go to ATSU. I have emailed the faculty and asked them if I can meet any one of them during the ASHA convention this coming November. One of the professors who also happens to be part of the administration told me he would be happy to meet with me.

I am just trying to do every thing possible to show that I am ready for a doctorates program. Graduating high school with a 2.1 GPA and transfering to a 4 year university with a 2.8. Getting this far was tough and applying to a doctorates program....well I never thought I would get this far.

Thank you all for your comments and I would appreciate any feed back or guidance. This next 4 months are going to be bumpy.

What you're doing with ATSU is definitely on the right track. I think what the committee will worry about most is just whether or not you'll be able to handle the challenging coursework. The GPA isn't everything, but it certainly can help you predict success in graduate school. If you're not worried, voice that to whomever is writing your letters of recommendation, and ask them to comment on your academic abilities. The caveat is that they're not going to lie, so if you didn't apply yourself in their class and they gave you a C, you probably shouldn't ask them to vouch for your academic motivation.

haha. oops! sorry - i'm the one that didn't understand your post!!!! good to know we're still homeys. :p

You were right about the humor not translating, though. And me being a J, although I resent the misrepresentation. :)

You were right about the humor not translating, though. And me being a J, although I resent the misrepresentation. :)

but how can any post be serious with the word "robots" in it? ;) i will try using emoticons to clarify my message. :) except i can never figure out which emoticon is appropriate. :oops:

that was a pretty judgemental post though regardless of who it was directed at you have to admit. and i say that with a heart full of good will. :love:

sorry i am feeling silly because I JUST PASSED MY COMPS!!!!!! AHHH!!!!! :D

but how can any post be serious with the word "robots" in it? ;) i will try using emoticons to clarify my message. :) except i can never figure out which emoticon is appropriate. :oops:

that was a pretty judgemental post though regardless of who it was directed at you have to admit. and i say that with a heart full of good will. :love:

sorry i am feeling silly because I JUST PASSED MY COMPS!!!!!! AHHH!!!!! :D

I resent the misrepresentation of J as literal-judging, that's all. Just like I resent the idea that when I say I'm an introvert, people say, "Uh... no you aren't, because you're not shy!"

Good job on the comps!

Just like I resent the idea that when I say I'm an introvert, people say, "Uh... no you aren't, because you're not shy!"

i get that too. they say it's about where you get your energy from. extroverts get their energy from being around people while introverts get their energy by being alone.

i get that too. they say it's about where you get your energy from. extroverts get their energy from being around people while introverts get their energy by being alone.

yeah, I understood the joke, but had to reject it in principle. ;)

hi AG! im a graduate of CSUN's CSD program. i had some poor grades during my first 3 years of college but i was able to turn things around during my 1 year at moorpark community college and the 2 years at CSUN. i consistently did well while at CSUN and i was told that it really spoke volumes for my application (this came directly from my program directors mouth when i went to visit them after i had been accepted and i asked if they were serious or just playing a really mean joke on me:laugh:) use the personal statement portion of the application to tell your story about the struggles BUT don't forget to really highlight how you succeeded! is Dr. Sinclair still the head of the CSD department? talk to him since he was instrumental in prepping me for applications to Au.D. programs.

cast your net wide - apply to a 2 schools that you think are outside of your reach and hope for the best. thats what i did with vanderbilt and northwestern. also apply to good programs - san diego state. then apply to some that you consider to be back ups. i think the average is 8 to 10 schools.

hi AG! im a graduate of CSUN's CSD program. i had some poor grades during my first 3 years of college but i was able to turn things around during my 1 year at moorpark community college and the 2 years at CSUN. i consistently did well while at CSUN and i was told that it really spoke volumes for my application (this came directly from my program directors mouth when i went to visit them after i had been accepted and i asked if they were serious or just playing a really mean joke on me:laugh:) use the personal statement portion of the application to tell your story about the struggles BUT don't forget to really highlight how you succeeded! is Dr. Sinclair still the head of the CSD department? talk to him since he was instrumental in prepping me for applications to Au.D. programs.

cast your net wide - apply to a 2 schools that you think are outside of your reach and hope for the best. thats what i did with vanderbilt and northwestern. also apply to good programs - san diego state. then apply to some that you consider to be back ups. i think the average is 8 to 10 schools.

Yes Dr. Sinclair is still there. He sure has helped me a lot too. He tells me I have a good chance in to getting in to some schools. With my crappy 3.03 over all and 3.2 past 60 units I think he's playing a joke on me too haha! But like you, I have showed a lot of progress. Currently I'm doing research with Dr.Virmiglio and audiology clinic with Dr. Spayed....if you remember them. I am also meeting with some of the schools I'm going to apply to in the up coming ASHA convention. I hope this can make up for some of the bitter parts of my application.

To be really honest with you my only worries is my GRE's which I'm taking tomorrow :scared:

First of all, I think it's silly to apply to more than eight schools. I think 5 to 7 is a better number. You have to spend A LOT of time preparing for the applications and unless you have all the time in the world, will be spread thin handling so many applications. Mistakes are bound to happen and you can't possibly put in all the effort an application deserves when juggling ten of them. It's not just the application either, it's the personal statement (often the most important part of an application), communicating/showing interest in your programs (visiting, emailing), making sure all your materials get to the right place in time. If you are a weaker applicant, you HAVE to do all of these correctly and well.

I had a 3.2 gpa and got into the three competitive programs I applied to. I honestly think three is a bit on the lower side but I was content with the fact that if I didn't get in to these schools, I would just reapply. However, by applying to a smaller amount of schools, I was able to visit and later email about my interest in the programs AND also discuss how my grades were a bit on the lower side and how I would improve/be more capable at the graduate level. I also spent HOURS on writing my personal statement for each school and had ten drafts for each. I also went over my application several times to make sure that I didn't have any mistakes and I spent a LONG time on each application. Also, my profs weren't overwhelmed with all the recs they had to do for me and were able to spend more time personalizing them. I had to retake the GRE again in order to get the score I wanted, I was able to juggle the GRE in addition to my applications because I didn't have ninety million applications to do.

If you have all the time in the world to apply to that many schools, do it. If you don't, you may want to reconsider. Apply to two "reaches", two "fits" and two "safeties" and if you can organize your time well to do the above mentioned, you should be fine.

To be really honest with you my only worries is my GRE's which I'm taking tomorrow :scared:

GOOD LUCK!!

First of all, I think it's silly to apply to more than eight schools. I think 5 to 7 is a better number. You have to spend A LOT of time preparing for the applications and unless you have all the time in the world, will be spread thin handling so many applications. Mistakes are bound to happen and you can't possibly put in all the effort an application deserves when juggling ten of them. It's not just the application either, it's the personal statement (often the most important part of an application), communicating/showing interest in your programs (visiting, emailing), making sure all your materials get to the right place in time. If you are a weaker applicant, you HAVE to do all of these correctly and well.

I had a 3.2 gpa and got into the three competitive programs I applied to. I honestly think three is a bit on the lower side but I was content with the fact that if I didn't get in to these schools, I would just reapply. However, by applying to a smaller amount of schools, I was able to visit and later email about my interest in the programs AND also discuss how my grades were a bit on the lower side and how I would improve/be more capable at the graduate level. I also spent HOURS on writing my personal statement for each school and had ten drafts for each. I also went over my application several times to make sure that I didn't have any mistakes and I spent a LONG time on each application. Also, my profs weren't overwhelmed with all the recs they had to do for me and were able to spend more time personalizing them. I had to retake the GRE again in order to get the score I wanted, I was able to juggle the GRE in addition to my applications because I didn't have ninety million applications to do.

If you have all the time in the world to apply to that many schools, do it. If you don't, you may want to reconsider. Apply to two "reaches", two "fits" and two "safeties" and if you can organize your time well to do the above mentioned, you should be fine.

well put. consider this bumped!

I love the dog days of September where everybody snaps on each other out of stress. Someone mistakenly cut the microwave line in the student room at lunch last week. I am not proud of my response towards that student.

ag, how did the GRE go?

P.S., I love the necessary interjection of Meyers-Briggs into this topic. It was definitely relevant as usual. :)

I love the dog days of September where everybody snaps on each other out of stress. Someone mistakenly cut the microwave line in the student room at lunch last week. I am not proud of my response towards that student.

ag, how did the GRE go?

P.S., I love the necessary interjection of Meyers-Briggs into this topic. It was definitely relevant as usual. :)

haha. meyers-briggs shout-outs are so much fun.

i did a meditation retreat once where the idea was to wish loving kindness to everyone in the world, and specifically to people whom you despise. they encouraged us to stop and think before we speak, and ask ourselves, for whose benefit are these words I'm about to say? if the answer is nobody, or if the answer is yourself at someone else's expense... then you probably shouldn't say those words. sometimes i go through this procedure but then i say the words anyway. :( not good karma.

the idea was to wish loving kindness to everyone in the world, and specifically to people whom you despise. they encouraged us to stop and think before we speak, and ask ourselves, for whose benefit are these words I'm about to say? if the answer is nobody, or if the answer is yourself at someone else's expense... then you probably shouldn't say those words..

Sounds like an FJ thing. :D

Someone mistakenly cut the microwave line in the student room at lunch last week. I am not proud of my response towards that student.

btw i would have loved to have seen that! =)