Can anyone confirm this: Walgreens laying off higher salaried pharmacists for cheaper pharmacists willing 2 work for 41.50/hr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apples and oranges. There's no comparison between a student/engineer and a pharmacist/pharmacist.

Why is an attending on their first day worth more than a resident on their last day?

You can make that argument for any promotion or raise. Why is anyone worth more one day than they were the day before? Also you might say that the "pharmacist" is worth more than the "resident" because the pharmacist is there to do a job while the resident is there to learn.

Why can you legally drink on your 21st birthday and not the day before? You cannot possibly tell the difference between someone who is 20 years and 364 days old vs someone who is 21 yo.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You lazy bums can all reject the 40 an hour. I will gladly take those hours. Walgreens for life son.

was that you or someone else that was put on performance review and was almost fired (or did get fired) lol

Why is an attending on their first day worth more than a resident on their last day?

You can make that argument for any promotion or raise. Why is anyone worth more one day than they were the day before? Also you might say that the "pharmacist" is worth more than the "resident" because the pharmacist is there to do a job while the resident is there to learn.

Why can you legally drink on your 21st birthday and not the day before? You cannot possibly tell the difference between someone who is 20 years and 364 days old vs someone who is 21 yo.

There is no comparison between the two. We're talking about education, not age. It's a nonsensical example.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A pharmacist or an attending bears full legal responsibility for whatever decisions they have made. A resident, whether pharmacy or medical, has someone else there should something go wrong, to shoulder some or most or all of the blame. People who have more responsibility get paid more. Skill is not the only criterion.

Last edited:
Before I truly believe it, I would need to see it in writing. Wags will send an offer via email - until someone actually shows me a document that shows a wage under 50/hr I won’t believe it

Before I truly believe it, I would need to see it in writing. Wags will send an offer via email - until someone actually shows me a document that shows a wage under 50/hr I won’t believe it

Believe what you want.

I'm not going to lie to you guys about it though.

You actually can. One will be drunk inside the bar and the other will be outside looking sad and bored.

• Haha
Worst case, you have “x” years of being a manager, for those PICs. That should land you a gig somewhere.

A pharmacist or an attending bears full legal responsibility for whatever decisions they have made. A resident, whether pharmacy or medical, has someone else there should something go wrong, to shoulder some or most or all of the blame. People who have more responsibility get paid more. Skill is not the only criterion.

Hm this is interesting because pharmacy residents could (and I believe in many places are expected to) be fully licensed with their respective state boards whereas medicine requires completion of a residency to achieve full licensure.
While I get certain organizations and institutions may have different levels of responsibilities, expectations, protections for their pharmacy residents, id be very interested to see how it would play out with a fully licensed pharmacist (albeit deemed a resident by a certain institution). The degree in which pharmacy residents are or aren’t delineated in state regs I think is much different than medicine. Just because a hospital requires a completion of pgy-2 to do xyz doesn’t mean it’s a legal requirement that you need a pgy-2 to do xyz. One who has completed a medical residency vs a current medical resident may have more legal authority to do certain things. One who has completed a pharmacy residency vs a current pharmacy resident may have the same legal authority to do things but only gain organizational/institutional opportunity to carry certain responsibilities.

Happy to be proven wrong if I’m incorrect on this.

And people that have more responsibility don’t always get paid more. People that have more accountability also don’t always get paid more. Generally it’s usually like this but certainly not always

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At some point I just would not take a pharmacy job. People get so hyper focused on pharmacy - like it’s the only job they can get.

I would just get a different type of job. Hell I can lay carpet for more than 40 bucks per hour.
Union electricians make $48 per hour plus great benefits

It's a saturated market where graduates with fat loans want a job, any job.

I have a big fat loan. I have never felt compelled to take any particular job due to my loan. Also, I have not experienced any sort of student loan anxiety upon graduation.

I think this student loan thing is overblown. The true issue with the job market, as a pharmacist, is the simple fact that the jobs have become absolutely horrendous in terms of work conditions.

Once upon a time I was a department manager of a big box store and I worked 50 hours a week busting my a$$ for 50k a year. So, I know what hard work is. The difference is that if I screwed up in my old job I would just say, “oh well lesson learned” and toss my project in the trash and start over. As a pharmacist, if I make a mistake, the level of severity is many magnitudes greater. The working conditions in a Walgreens has become so disgustingly bad that this above mentioned anxiety has become overwhelming. Being in a position where I have to approve 20 new prescriptions, blow through the DUR, all at the same time that I am on the phone waiting for a nurse to clarify an RX, some guy is staring at me from the waiting area as he waits for me to fill his 7th oxycodone rx for the week, a family of screaming children are waiting for flu shots, and all at the same time a technician is hiding in the bathroom crying because it’s all just too much...... And to make it all more laughable, I am supposed to hand out these stupid red foam balls to put on peoples noses for some fundraiser I know nothing about...

It is important to note that this is just a single snapshot of a 15 minute period of time in any given day.

The worst part is - the next day, when you finally get through the madness of a single day, your store manager is waiting for you to discuss why your promised time was over the allowed limit... After you have received your scolding - it’s time to do it all over again.

Screw my loan - I want an environment where I can actually execute my responsibilities as a professional without this unbearable madness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I have a big fat loan. I have never felt compelled to take any particular job due to my loan. Also, I have not experienced any sort of student loan anxiety upon graduation.

I think this student loan thing is overblown. The true issue with the job market, as a pharmacist, is the simple fact that the jobs have become absolutely horrendous in terms of work conditions.

Once upon a time I was a department manager of a big box store and I worked 50 hours a week busting my a$$ for 50k a year. So, I know what hard work is. The difference is that if I screwed up in my old job I would just say, “oh well lesson learned” and toss my project in the trash and start over. As a pharmacist, if I make a mistake, the level of severity is many magnitudes greater. The working conditions in a Walgreens has become so disgustingly bad that this above mentioned anxiety has become overwhelming. Being in a position where I have to approve 20 new prescriptions, blow through the DUR, all at the same time that I am on the phone waiting for a nurse to clarify an RX, some guy is staring at me from the waiting area as he waits for me to fill his 7th oxycodone rx for the week, a family of screaming children are waiting for flu shots, and all at the same time a technician is hiding in the bathroom crying because it’s all just too much...... And to make it all more laughable, I am supposed to hand out these stupid red foam balls to put on peoples noses for some fundraiser I know nothing about...

It is important to note that this is just a single snapshot of a 15 minute period of time in any given day.

The worst part is - the next day, when you finally get through the madness of a single day, your store manager is waiting for you to discuss why your promised time was over the allowed limit... After you have received your scolding - it’s time to do it all over again.

.... all the while your RPH and tech hours are being cut despite the fact your script count has increased... but hey, patient safety first, right?!

Many physicians have student loan stress. Not sure if it is different in pharm. The med school stress is how hospitals capitalize on making physicians employees

The true issue with the job market, as a pharmacist, is the simple fact that the jobs have become absolutely horrendous in terms of work conditions.
Negative. Work conditions are just a symptom of the real issue which is the massive oversupply of new grads being pumped into the market each year which dilutes the value of pharmacists. It's a chain reaction:

1. Oversupply of grads occurs due to pharmacy hitting peak saturation

2. Worth of any individual pharmacist diminishes because you are no longer a luxury/commodity

3. Pharmacies looking to cut labor and administrative costs can completely take advantage by not just offering lower salaries/hours, but can also get away with not investing in equipment/infrastructure like stools, better phones etc. The lifespan/longevity of pharmacists no longer matter to corporate because if you fall over there will be 100+ people in line to take your spot (actually this is how SeaWorld gets away with imposing horrid working conditions/hours on their dolphin trainers too, just look it up)

Conversely, if pharmacists are a scarce commodity, pharmacies would NOT be cutting hours/salaries and I guarantee you there will be excellent working conditions because if you simply WALK AWAY they will have to close down their entire operation (because there is nobody to replace you). Leverage is something correlated with value and how you are treated as an employee, and pharmacists have none.

Reactions: 6 users

Screw my loan - I want an environment where I can actually execute my responsibilities as a professional without this unbearable madness.
This is a great description of a day in most retail pharmacies. Super accurate, down to the techs crying in the bathroom (or just not showing up due to stress at work being too overwhelming).

In my perspective I’d say not. This would represent a one time hit on the balance sheet. Their cash flow is still relatively healthy so it should be able to absorb that pretty easily. $75 million from the coffers might seem like a lot but honestly not that much. Cutting opex to make up for that doesn’t seem that logical to me. Demand for cutting costs is moreso to protect/improve profitability or margin. They did mention significant increases in SG&A for ongoing additional costs to fund all the covid support stuff. Pharmacy margins are super compressed even more (literally no surprise) and boots UK is getting absolutely shelled from a comp perspective... probably because they aren’t allowed to sell high margin beauty products over there during this covid period.

Yeah people **** on them for buying Rite Aid stores but it’s Boots that’s killing them