Can anyone decide my first/second choice schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. MD or DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a college graduate, currently working as a surgical team of dermatology. I'm planning to attend Osteopathic medical schools, but can not decide the one best suited for myself. I searched and looked through all the information, but they all say they are the best according to their perception and innate pride of their own institution. From a general and rather unbiased view you students have, can you tell me which Osteopathic school is the best. I'am very interested in both Internal medicine and Surgery(dermatology, general, orthopedic, neuro) I'm from NY and I applied to NJ,NYCOM,PCOM,UNECOM and LECOM. From what I hear, I heard the rank goes somewhat like NYCOM, PCOM, UNECOM, LECOM=NJ, in decreasing order. Thank you for your guiding information. I appreciate and respect all your response.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking for a program that'll give you more of an advantage in applying to surgical programs, I think NYCOM has a relatively better track record than the other DO schools. Although I agree with you that NYCOM is among the best, the only school on your "rank" list that's close to NYCOM's quality is PCOM. You're also missing some of the stronger DO schools out there like CCOM, KCOM, AZCOM, TCOM, and TUCOM.

AZCOM is 5 years old I think, can you determine how great a medical school is in that short of time? Yes, I know they have a 100% board pass rate but I took the boards and they weren't that hard to pass if you put some time into it. Just curious to see how people figure out the new DO schools(AZCOM and Touro) are so great and on par with the DO schools that have been around 100+ years such as CCOM and KCOM.

Sorry to be so blunt, but here's a novel idea... VISIT THE SCHOOLS!!! Most students will tell you that their institution is the greatest but only you will know which school feels 'the best'.

As far as "rankings", I don't think they exist. That goes for any school for that matter. No organization exists to keep score for schools, unless you consider news stand magazines such as US News and World Report as the authorities on the matter.

Spend the few bucks (your going to be a doctor for crying out loud) to visit some programs. It'll be worth it in the long term. If you are a smart enough person to get into a medical school (I have no reason to doubt that you are), you are smart enough to figure out what schools best fit your personality and learning styles