Can anyone give me some advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gowings1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!
I am applying to Optometry schools this year and I am seeking a little advice. I took the OAT last feb, and got a 290 overall score.
My gpa is not steller, as it is around a 2.7. However, since returning to school over the past 3 years, I have been able to maintain a 3.4 gpa, in which all of the classes have been pre-reqs for optometry schools. I have had extensive experience, 10 years as an optician, and have worked very closely with many OD's. I was wondering if anyone knows of or has been excepted with a similar resume? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome gowings1!

You have a good chance of gaining admission to an Optometry school. Your OAT score & GPA are not that bad, and your grade trends have been upward. It looks like you have a lot of experience under your belt, and thats a plus.

What schools are you applying to?

Good Luck to you!:)

HI Christie!
Thanks for you input! I am applying to Ferris State, I.C.O, P.C.O, and Nova. How is P.C.O.? I met a couple of great students from their on a Mission to Bolivia, South America, they seemed to have a lot of great things to say about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't started PCO yet, so in about month, I'll have more to say. I was very impressed by PCO when I went to visit. With this new curriculum that started just last year, it will put us in the clinic sooner, and give us much more patient experience, which is great!

I also heard that there is not a lot of competition, and the faculty are there to really help us achieve our goals. The school is located in suburban Philly, and is ideal for studying. If you can, visit each of the schools you are applying to, to get an ideal of what the school is like.

Originally posted by gowings1
...I met a couple of great students from their on a Mission to Bolivia, South America...
Gowings1 -- how did you get involved in the mission to Bolivia? How was it? How long were you there and what did you do? Sounds cool...

Originally posted by christie
...I also heard that there is not a lot of competition, and the faculty are there to really help us achieve our goals. The school is located in suburban Philly, and is ideal for studying. If you can, visit each of the schools you are applying to, to get an ideal of what the school is like.
I also got the impression that PCO was a friendly, non-competitive school from the students and staff that I talked to when I toured there last year. At first I thought the location for the school was kind of strange -- it is in the middle of suburbia, and most professional schools tend to be in downtown, urban areas so it wasn't at all what I was expecting -- but I like it a lot. It's a much more condusive area to studying than, say, SUNY, which is in the middle of Midtown. If I go there, I'll seriously have to focus harder on studying and not just wandering around Manhattan... :)

Yeah, that was one reason why I chose to attend PCO, rather than say, NEWENCO. I love Boston, but it would be very hard to stay inside and study. PCO gives you the option to stay in a quiet suburban setting, yet be so close to Philly. PCO's clinic is actually in Philly.