Can Anyone Help Me With Dic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrsbrandy22

Nrsbrandy22
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am new, and was wondering if anyone would like to assist me in properly diagnosing DIC, using laboratory test findings. Which tests would most accurately support the diagnosis of DIC?

Decreased fibrinogen and platelet levels?

Markedly elevated levels of FDP?

Prolonged PT and PTT, or all?!

I would appreciate any helpful answers/suggestions you may have....

Thanks!

~Brandy

Members don't see this ad.

nrsbrandy22 said:
Hey everyone,
I am new, and was wondering if anyone would like to assist me in properly diagnosing DIC, using laboratory test findings. Which tests would most accurately support the diagnosis of DIC?

Decreased fibrinogen and platelet levels?

Markedly elevated levels of FDP?

Prolonged PT and PTT, or all?!

I would appreciate any helpful answers/suggestions you may have....

Thanks!

~Brandy

D-dimer.....

I am not so sure. D-dimer can also be elevated in PE/DVT, cancer, MI, infection/sepsis without DIC - and I think warfarin use too.

Brandy, in addition to the 3 parameters you already mentioned, hemolysis, urea and urine output can be helpful.

Plus the very important non-lab eyeball test that the patient shows signs of bleeding and looks pretty darned sick.

Thanks for helping me study for my IM final! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
D-dimer helps to distinguish between DIC and fibrinolysis which can appear similar. However, with DIC you will see consumption of clotting factors and platelets. Diagnosis of DIC is primarily clinical because if you don't treat it when you suspect it, the patient will die.

With acute DIC (bleeding), PT, PTT, and Thrombin Time will be elevated and plts will be decreased.

With chronic DIC (clotting), PT and PTT may be normal or decreased. However, plts will probably still be decreased.

FDP should be elevated for both DIC and fibrinolysis, but D-dimer will be normal for fibrinolysis.

Prolonged bleeding time, PT, PTT, & Thrombin time
Decreased Platelet count
Confirmation tests: Fibrin & fibrinogen degradation products

:luck: