Can anyone help me with this chemistry problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Artimacia

can do stuff real good
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe how you would prepare each of the following aqueous solutions, starting with solid KBr:

0.95L of 1.4×10−2 M KBr (find mass of KBr and Volume of Water)

125g of 0.180 molality of KBr (find mass of KBr and mass Water)

1.65 L of a solution that is 14.0 % KBr by mass (the density of the solution is 1.10 g/mL) (Find mass of KBr and Volume of water)

a 0.140 M solution of KBr that contains just enough KBr to precipitate 17.0 g of AgBr from a solution containing 0.480 mol of AgNO3 (Find mass of KBr and Volume of water)

If you can help me figure out how to solve even just one, that would help a lot. I didn't know where else to post this, and figured no one would answer in the pre-MD thread.

Members don't see this ad.

For the first 2, use dimensional analysis and the definitions of molarity (mol solute/L solvent) and molality (mol solute/kg solvent) to solve for the # of moles of KBr needed. Then find the molecular weight and solve for the mass in grams. For the third, find the mass of the solution using density=mass*volume. Then you find out how much of that is due to KBr.

The last one is a little tricky, so others might need to check my work on this.
The reaction you're concerned with is
KBr+AgNO3----->AgBr+KNO3

Solubility rules should tell you that AgBr is insoluble. Also you expect 17 g or 0.091 mol of it to precipitate. In the initial reaction, you can assume that KBr is the limiting reactant, so since it is in 1:1 ratio with AgBr, you should initially start off with 0.091 mol KBr. Finding the rest is easy from here. I think the 0.480 mol AgNO3 is extra info and isn't needed.

These are basic chemistry questions, so you should get comfortable doing these, esp if you plan on taking MCAT. G/L.

Status
Not open for further replies.