SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

can anyone moonlight?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by adjsmj, Nov 18, 2001.

1. adjsmj

adjsmj Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 20, 2000
    coatesville, Pa, usa
    Can a resident in area of medicine moonlight or is just the primary care areas of medicine?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2001
    I am a ninja
    There will be lots of changes in the next few years. Most places do not allow moonlighting until the end of your 2nd year...but the trend is away from moonlighting. The ACEP and SAEM is doing their best to stop the practice all together in the ED.

4. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2001
    Indiana
    It depends on the state as well. In VA any doctor can moonlight after they take step 3. They require one year of residency to be eligible to take step 3 for US grads and 3 years for FMGs. Even a pathologist can moonlight in primary care if they wanted. But, most moonlight for area path groups or for the medical examiner.

5. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 22, 2001
    MSU-CHM
    I work at an urgent care clinic as a medic. We have several residents that moonlight there, anywhere from surgery, to er, to primary care, to neurology residents work there....for a good salary too...80 to 120 dollars per hour!!

6. droliver

droliver Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

May 1, 2001
    A number of the VA's require you to be board-eligible in something to work there now

7. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2001
    Indiana
    Sorry didn't mean VA as in Vet. Administration I was saying VA as in Virginia. :)

8. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 15, 2001
    Where do residents find the time to moonlight? Aren't you incredibly busy as it is? On average, how many days off would you have per month that you could devote to moonlighting?

9. emedpa

emedpa GlobalDoc 10+ Year Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Taking an Away team....
    another take on the moonlighting issue...the ER'S I work in(3) all use residents with variable levels of success.IM residents are basically worthless in the ER because they can not work up peds cases or trauma.they are great at working up IM types of problems (chest pain,dyspnea, etc) but are worthless at anything else.when they work a 12 hr shift, they see 7-10 pts while everyone else sees 25+. FP residents fit into an ER setting much better because of their broad based training.the ideal is to have 2nd and 3rd year EM residents because they do this every day anyway. my feeling is that non-EM people should not be allowed to moonlight in the main ER(fast track is ok for FP) or outside of their specialty area.