Can anyone relate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmiam2

Reaction score
Right now I am having such a difficult time focusing and I’m struggling to find the motivation. I fail exams, I procrastinate and I don’t put enough effort into my studies even tho I want to go to vet school so badly. I’m burnt out already and I’m graduating in the fall 2022, next semester. I have developed imposter syndrome and I feel like I’m not smart enough because I don’t test well. I’m just wondering if anyone else is or has struggled with this before even applying to vet school? I question if it’s worth it or if it’s a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I haven’t had the exact same experience as you but I definitely have issues procrastinating, losing motivation and major imposter syndrome. I would suggest seeing if your school has a counseling service that you can speak to. One of my friends in college was able to speak to a counselor at least every month to plan out with someone her short and long term goals which was extremely helpful for her. Additionally in the same sort of vein, speaking to a psychologist to see if there’s a root cause for the loss of motivation and ways of working through your imposter syndrome. You are definitely not alone and many prevet/vet students have similar feelings.

Additionally, I don’t know your specific situation and don’t know if this would apply to you at all but I’ve spoken to a lot of people who did not know until college they had a learning disability. Once they found out, they were able to gain the proper accommodations to demonstrate their abilities much better on exams and assignments.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
With covid and everything else that has gone on in the last few year I definitely feel myself struggling a little with focus. Still doing well enough in school but it has been hard to wake up feeling good. I'm still very excited for vet school but I do feel a bit of a mental burnout. I'd suggest, yes talking to a counselor if you can afford to, or maybe taking a social media break/ technology break. This is where a lot of comparing ones self and self doubt comes from imo. Maybe focus that extra time on self reflection, where you see yourself in the next 5 years, why you want to be a vet, and take time to understand the hardships you will encounter in both vet school and in the field. Even if you cannot afford to see someone maybe you can find a book or another resource that can help you build a plan. You have to protect your mental health first and foremost. I hope you feel better!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're not alone!! Very often I have struggled with motivation and it would make me feel very down. I'm hard working, not lazy. So why did I struggle so much with focusing and making myself sit down and study?? I can't really say why since I never utilized student counseling services like others suggest, but it sounds like a great idea. What I do know is what helps me stay motivated. Sometimes undergrad classes feel pointless. What doesn't feel pointless to me? Working at a vet, dog training, volunteering at a shelter, doing anything that relates to vet med, etc. By just being in classes I tend to lose focus on the end goal and it's draining. You need to find what makes you tick and what makes you want to study. It's different for everyone. But I know what helps me is being involved in activities that inspire me in my career field and having my ideal study environment: a lit candle, natural light, and instrumental music (usually video game soundtracks).
I hope you find what works for you and that you know that many of us struggle with motivation. It's not always easy to figure out what works, but it's doable. Just because you are struggling now does not mean at all that you do not have what it takes to do well in vet school or as a veterinarian.

Reactions: 1 user
Right now I am having such a difficult time focusing and I’m struggling to find the motivation. I fail exams, I procrastinate and I don’t put enough effort into my studies even tho I want to go to vet school so badly. I’m burnt out already and I’m graduating in the fall 2022, next semester. I have developed imposter syndrome and I feel like I’m not smart enough because I don’t test well. I’m just wondering if anyone else is or has struggled with this before even applying to vet school? I question if it’s worth it or if it’s a waste of time.
I can definitely relate to a degree. I've always pushed myself academically so I never fell too hard behind, but I pretty much avoided SDN like the plague until I started getting decisions back. It was really difficult because I started to compare my stats to those on the successful applicants page and felt like I was always lacking. I also started feeling a lot of burn out after cramming a bunch of tough STEM classes during my junior year (biochem, microbio, physics which I'm terrible at, and organic chem) along with basically going to the clinic full-time and getting plantar fasciitis from terrible footwear.

As for the impostor syndrome, you are definitely not alone! It's honestly a common trend at least within my friend circles that we felt like we got into our undergrad programs because of diversity programs lmao. I'm of the belief that just because you don't test well doesn't mean you wouldn't be an amazing veterinarian. Always hated standardized tests and never felt like they actually reflected how smart people are and can be, so don't let it get you down too much

My advice here would be to give yourself some grace, find what makes you happy and give yourself space to relax and unwind. It's tough going through the entire application process and if that's the only thing on your mind it's going to drive you crazy (which happened to me this past summer). Definitely talk to a counselor if it helps and try talking to friends or others just to get stuff off your chest!

I haven’t had the exact same experience as you but I definitely have issues procrastinating, losing motivation and major imposter syndrome. I would suggest seeing if your school has a counseling service that you can speak to. One of my friends in college was able to speak to a counselor at least every month to plan out with someone her short and long term goals which was extremely helpful for her. Additionally in the same sort of vein, speaking to a psychologist to see if there’s a root cause for the loss of motivation and ways of working through your imposter syndrome. You are definitely not alone and many prevet/vet students have similar feelings.

Additionally, I don’t know your specific situation and don’t know if this would apply to you at all but I’ve spoken to a lot of people who did not know until college they had a learning disability. Once they found out, they were able to gain the proper accommodations to demonstrate their abilities much better on exams and assignments.
Ya I’ve been thinking maybe it’s adhd but my psychiatrist says it’s anxiety and I know why so it’s just about doing what I need to do to work through it!

With covid and everything else that has gone on in the last few year I definitely feel myself struggling a little with focus. Still doing well enough in school but it has been hard to wake up feeling good. I'm still very excited for vet school but I do feel a bit of a mental burnout. I'd suggest, yes talking to a counselor if you can afford to, or maybe taking a social media break/ technology break. This is where a lot of comparing ones self and self doubt comes from imo. Maybe focus that extra time on self reflection, where you see yourself in the next 5 years, why you want to be a vet, and take time to understand the hardships you will encounter in both vet school and in the field. Even if you cannot afford to see someone maybe you can find a book or another resource that can help you build a plan. You have to protect your mental health first and foremost. I hope you feel better!
I actually deleted all of my social media and muted any other distractions the 1st of the year as my New Years resolution, it’s helped now I just need to work with my therapist with my school anxiety!

• Care
You're not alone!! Very often I have struggled with motivation and it would make me feel very down. I'm hard working, not lazy. So why did I struggle so much with focusing and making myself sit down and study?? I can't really say why since I never utilized student counseling services like others suggest, but it sounds like a great idea. What I do know is what helps me stay motivated. Sometimes undergrad classes feel pointless. What doesn't feel pointless to me? Working at a vet, dog training, volunteering at a shelter, doing anything that relates to vet med, etc. By just being in classes I tend to lose focus on the end goal and it's draining. You need to find what makes you tick and what makes you want to study. It's different for everyone. But I know what helps me is being involved in activities that inspire me in my career field and having my ideal study environment: a lit candle, natural light, and instrumental music (usually video game soundtracks).
I hope you find what works for you and that you know that many of us struggle with motivation. It's not always easy to figure out what works, but it's doable. Just because you are struggling now does not mean at all that you do not have what it takes to do well in vet school or as a veterinarian.
Thank you! Ya I volunteer as a pre-vet student at a shelter and I get to learn and use skills techs have because they don’t have any techs. I’ve been in surgery and recovery and I absolutely love it and it always solidifies my choice in becoming a vet!

I can definitely relate to a degree. I've always pushed myself academically so I never fell too hard behind, but I pretty much avoided SDN like the plague until I started getting decisions back. It was really difficult because I started to compare my stats to those on the successful applicants page and felt like I was always lacking. I also started feeling a lot of burn out after cramming a bunch of tough STEM classes during my junior year (biochem, microbio, physics which I'm terrible at, and organic chem) along with basically going to the clinic full-time and getting plantar fasciitis from terrible footwear.

As for the impostor syndrome, you are definitely not alone! It's honestly a common trend at least within my friend circles that we felt like we got into our undergrad programs because of diversity programs lmao. I'm of the belief that just because you don't test well doesn't mean you wouldn't be an amazing veterinarian. Always hated standardized tests and never felt like they actually reflected how smart people are and can be, so don't let it get you down too much

My advice here would be to give yourself some grace, find what makes you happy and give yourself space to relax and unwind. It's tough going through the entire application process and if that's the only thing on your mind it's going to drive you crazy (which happened to me this past summer). Definitely talk to a counselor if it helps and try talking to friends or others just to get stuff off your chest!
That makes me feel so much better! I’m taking orgo right now and failed like really badly my first exam. I got extra time (1:15) and didn’t finish it, then I hear people talking about how easy it was and they finished in 15 minutes and it makes me feel horrible but then the majority of the class is struggling like me so then I feel better.

• Care
That makes me feel so much better! I’m taking orgo right now and failed like really badly my first exam. I got extra time (1:15) and didn’t finish it, then I hear people talking about how easy it was and they finished in 15 minutes and it makes me feel horrible but then the majority of the class is struggling like me so then I feel better.
Honestly, organic chemistry is just one of those classes I was completely fine tanking a B or a C in haha. It's not easy, and it definitely doesn't come naturally to most (it didn't for me), so I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over it. I've also had friends who went on to be vets that straight up told me they got Cs in orgo (and one who got a D in p-chem).

IMO, having a balanced application is a lot better than having a 4.0 GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Orgo is a really tough course for most people. I got a C+ in orgo 1. My orgo 2 professor told me that she herself failed her first exam when I went in to talk to her about how I failed my first exam in her course. I withdrew and ended up taking it during the summer when I could dedicate all of my time to the course. Seriously, don’t worry about getting a slightly lower grade in one or two classes. My undergraduate GPA was a 3.09…. It's so much more important to be well-rounded and able to demonstrate growth and determination as a student.

i withdrew from orgo I twice and still got into three of the four vet schools i applied to, and now i'm in my second semester of vet school. organic is just a brutal class for a lot of people, and for me, getting through it involved finding a teacher that worked with my learning style. you're not alone.