Can Canadian dentists practice in USA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ourlovestory

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Colleagues,
I know that dentists who graduate from accredited Canadian dental schools are eligible to practice in the USA, but do you know if a foreign-trained dentist who is licensed in Canada through the NDEB Equivalency Process is eligible to apply for a license in the USA in general and in Washington State in particular?
Please share what you know. Your help is truly appreciated!
Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you can if you do 2years of pre/post doctoral study at a CODA accredited university, but not just with passing the Canadian Board exams

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on a state. Some require a PR or citizenship
Then there is an issue of getting a work visa. License does not automatically gives you a right to work in a country
Canadians are welcome to live in States for 6 months of a year, but they can't work, unless they get work visa

Members don't see this ad :)
Then there is an issue of getting a work visa. License does not automatically gives you a right to work in a country
Canadians are welcome to live in States for 6 months of a year, but they can't work, unless they get work visa
oralcare123, Thank you very much!

I thought canadians could get a work visa under NAFTA? They just had to have a job offer?

I thought canadians could get a work visa under NAFTA? They just had to have a job offer?
Hi Anondds87, I am not sure if Canadian dentists who are foreign-trained and got their license thru the Canadian equivalency process (not thru an accredited Canadian program) can even practice in the USA, even if they get a job offer. Most of the states require 2 years of pre-doctoral or post-doctoral from an accredited Canadian or USA dental program to fulfill the license requirements in the USA.

Hi Anondds87, I am not sure if Canadian dentists who are foreign-trained and got their license thru the Canadian equivalency process (not thru an accredited Canadian program) can even practice in the USA, even if they get a job offer. Most of the states require 2 years of pre-doctoral or post-doctoral from an accredited Canadian or USA dental program to fulfill the license requirements in the USA.
Yes you are right. However, that is a separate issue isnt it?
A working visa is totally separate from being liscenced. If you can get a job offer, then you can get a liscence under NAFTA?
Getting a job offer assumes you filled all the requirements, but the visa isnt affected by what you did to get the job offer.
Unless I'm missing something?

Yes you are right. However, that is a separate issue isnt it?
A working visa is totally separate from being liscenced. If you can get a job offer, then you can get a liscence under NAFTA?
Getting a job offer assumes you filled all the requirements, but the visa isnt affected by what you did to get the job offer.
Unless I'm missing something?
Not really.
Majority of states require a 2 year accredited school education for licensing. NAFTA or not :)
Work visa is also not a given - immigration officer is free to deny you one
First you need to get licensed, get all appropriate insurances, then look for a job

Not really.
Majority of states require a 2 year accredited school education for licensing. NAFTA or not :)
Work visa is also not a given - immigration officer is free to deny you one
First you need to get licensed, get all appropriate insurances, then look for a job
Yes I think we are talking about two different things.

If you do all the liscencing stuff (2yrs post doc etc), and become eligible for a liscence in a particular state, and get a job offer, then you can get a work visa through NAFTA?

Hi guys! I am a foreign graduated DDS. So I am planning to go directly for the pediatrics program in Canada as I do not want to waste two years of my life doing an equivalency program for my DDS again. When I graduate in Canada as a Pediatrician, Can I get the license to work in the US ? or they will still send me for the DDS two year program. I know I can get licensed in Canada with my specialty degree but I do not know it about the US

Hi guys! I am a foreign graduated DDS. So I am planning to go directly for the pediatrics program in Canada as I do not want to waste two years of my life doing an equivalency program for my DDS again. When I graduate in Canada as a Pediatrician, Can I get the license to work in the US ? or they will still send me for the DDS two year program. I know I can get licensed in Canada with my specialty degree but I do not know it about the US
You need to inquire at the state you plan to practice in.
Not every state accepts nonresidents to grant license, but majority require two years of education at an accredited program
Florida wants 4 years, as far as I know