Can DOs that complete an allopathic program take AOBEM or ABEM boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AR1776

Flying through
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if DOs that complete an MD EM residency can take the osteopathic EM boards for certification or only ABEM boards?

Members don't see this ad.

You can if the AOA approves your ACGME training through some sort of reentry process...not sure the details. Don't know why you would bother with the osteo cert though since all it will really do is make you be an AOA member and pay fees to them.

I thought I already had to pay the AOA dues and stay in good standing and meet their CME requirements since I'm a DO. Am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to meet the CME requirements of your certifying board and the state(s) you are licensed in. The AOA requirements apply to those who are DO boarded. Some states have an Osteopathic state licensing board independent of the general medical licensure board and they can require "DO" CME for licensure.

I thought I already had to pay the AOA dues and stay in good standing and meet their CME requirements since I'm a DO. Am I wrong?

If you didn't attend an AOA residency and are not boarded by the AOA, and are not required to maintain an AOA membership for specialty and/or state licensing requirement, then no.