Can Eyelashes Turn Under??!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INeedAdvice

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know of an elderly patient with dementia that has had ongoing eye problems for almost 2 years (before that, her eyes had always been normal & fine except for having cataract surgery about 10 years ago).

She only sees a GP, but nothing other than 3 prescriptions (about 10 days/prescription) of eyedrops with antibiotics were given to her over the 2 years ...& now that those have run out, the GP won't give anymore. Therefore, her only "treatment" has been over-the-counter Natural Tears eyedrops twice daily.

I noticed that her bottom eyelashes actually turn IN (not out) against her eyeball because her elderly skin is so soft & wrinkley that her bottom eyelid is folding under.

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS PHENOMENA?

I've also noticed that she gets this yellowish mucous in her eyes on a daily basis (so much of it that they are closed shut a lot of times)...so I'm guessing there's a bacterial infection going on ? Or would a constant irritation of eyelashes against the white of her eyes cause a yellow mucous? (I would've thought that a chronic irritation would cause a clear mucous ...therefore the yellow mucous could be bacterial??)

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.