Can getting a full sleeve tattoo tarnish your image to Medical schools….

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leaveit2rani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can getting a full sleeve tattoo tarnish your image to Medical schools and future hospitals?

I want to get a full sleeve tattoo on my left arm but I am worried if I will be judged about it during med school interviews (well maybe not, since i would be wearing a suit) or hospital jobs? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

At the hospital I volunteer at, I see medical personnel with tattoos running down their arm all the time.

Honestly, how will they know? Just wear a suit or lab coat and nobody will see or care.

Why not just wait until you get in, that way interviews aren't a problem? Although I think it'll look kinda unprofessional for residency interviews too, etc..

Members don't see this ad :)
yes you will look like a creep and nobody wants to accept a creep

Can getting a full sleeve tattoo tarnish your image to Medical schools and future hospitals?

I want to get a full sleeve tattoo on my left arm but I am worried if I will be judged about it during med school interviews (well maybe not, since i would be wearing a suit) or hospital jobs? Any thoughts?

Wait till after interviews and step 1 scores lol. If you have great step 1 scores a tattoo won't matter.

If you wear a short sleeved t-shirt to your interviews you will. But maybe that's because you chose to wear a short sleeved t-shirt to an interview rather than the tattoo...

At the hospital I volunteer at, I see medical personnel with tattoos running down their arm all the time.

Honestly, how will they know? Just wear a suit or lab coat and nobody will see or care.

true, but those are usually CNAs and security.....not licensed MDs

If you wear a short sleeved t-shirt to your interviews you will. But maybe that's because you chose to wear a short sleeved t-shirt to an interview rather than the tattoo...

What if the full sleeve tattoo is of a full suit sleeve?

Mind = Blown

It probably wouldn't be looked upon kindly by everyone you come across while wearing scrubs. There are quite a few of the "old guard" still around in hospitals. Some patients would probably think twice about their tatted-up doc.

I wouldn't do it, because older patients and staff are going to judge you in some shape or form.

That's why docs with full sleeves wear long sleeve shirts under their scrubs. I worked with an anesthesiologist that had 2 sleeves and just wore a long sleeve shirt under his scrubs. Plus, the OR was usually cold so that worked. In a professional setting, your arms never NEED to be shown. Just make sure to stop the sleeve about an inch or two above where your wrist articulates.

From a student handbook for a med school
Tattoos
Visible tattoos are not appropriate for the healthcare and/or professional work environment. Tattoos shall be appropriately concealed by clothing.

Like it or not, medicine is still a conservative field. I'd keep the quoted rule for an interview

This seems to be a favorite pic to post among the tatt'ed up friends on my facebook [usually with a caption regarding "not judging them"/"end stereotypes"]:

tattooed-doctor.jpg

Interestingly, none of them are actually physicians, in the medical field, or even in school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have visable hand tattoos and have wondered about this. I did ask an adcom (in person) and she said it wasnt a big deal...but I still wonder.

I definitely would not get it until after you are accepted...an Admissions Director who talked at my school said that tattoos that are visible are looked down upon

the EM chief resident a few years ago in the hospital I work at was covered in tattoos....full sleeves, and you could see his chest piece through the top of his scrubs. I think he had a neck tattoo too.

Get sleeves if you're prepared to cover them up while in the hospital/clinic. You will be judged for your tattoos, and you will have to fight an uphill battle to prove yourself.

If you are willing to cover them up for the duration of your professional career, I don't see a problem with it. I have a shoulder tat and am likely going to get two more, but all of mine are in areas that can be covered up in scrubs.

It's funny, though--my bf has a six-year-old son and we put on temporary tattoos all the time. Often they're on my lower arms and I don't bother covering them up for work. The only comments I've ever gotten have been, "That's awesome!" and then disappointment when my patients learn its temporary. The majority of your patients will probably think your tattoos are cool, but IMO it isn't worth alienating others.

well.....are you getting a tattoo of a medical diagram? JK JK
Feel free to express yourself...

Wow. Not being judgmental or anything. The 1950's called...they want your worldview back.

Regardless, don't act like tattoos are wildly accepted in the workplace. Even McDonald's has rules against showing tattoos. Why would the medical field, a place chock full of professional degrees, being any less conservative or expect less class than a fast food restaurant?

Regardless, don't act like tattoos are wildly accepted in the workplace. Even McDonald's has rules against showing tattoos. Why would the medical field, a place chock full of professional degrees, being any less conservative or expect less class than a fast food restaurant?

I concur with this statement. Some places may be fine--but it is still not widely accepted. Perhaps you should wait farther into your career before you obtain one. Surely delaying a tattoo for 3 years isn't a life-breaking decision.

I concur with this statement. Some places may be fine--but it is still not widely accepted. Perhaps you should wait farther into your career before you obtain one. Surely delaying a tattoo for 3 years isn't a life-breaking decision.

On a totally unrelated note why have you blacklisted tigerdirect? I always thought they were pretty good.

I never said anything about showing tattoos. Did you not read what I wrote? You can have a full sleeve and never show it in interviews, school, and practice. Plus then the tattoo will last longer :)

The OP didnt mention displaying the tattoo. Would any adcom know the OP had a sleeve? No. Why? Because we wear suits to interviews.

I knew an ex-biker that was an anesthesiologist. That guy had a lot of tattos.

Tattooing in visible parts of your body isn't really all that "shocking" anymore, just like it isn't unique or expressive. I, personally, don't really care about someone having tattoos, its just that most of the time they are juvenile or cliched.

Face/neck/hand tattoo? Clearly a lack of professionalism.

Don't do something you're going to regret in 10 or 20 years.

DO NOT GET A FULL SLEEVE. Get all the tats you want as long as they can be covered by scrubs. NO Sleeves! Sure you may see one or two er docs with them but play it safe dude, play it safe. This is coming from a 28yo who got tats on both arms in my late teen years. I spent so much money getting them lazered off and still have a few more sessions to go.:( It is not worth it.....

Worse. advice. ever. Those "medical personnel" are usually the cooks or techs and they are still in the minority. When you go to the OR you will get looks and it just dont look professional. I wore those paper blue surgical jackets to hide mine and during the summer....it sucked. Don't put yourself in that position.

The hospital I work at has a few doctors with sleeves. Will people judge you for your tattoos? Absolutely. I would say wait until you secured your spot in medical school or at least get something you can cover up in long sleeves.

Worse. advice. ever. Those "medical personnel" are usually the cooks or techs and they are still in the minority. When you go to the OR you will get looks and it just dont look professional. I wore those paper blue surgical jackets to hide mine and during the summer....it sucked. Don't put yourself in that position.

Right the cooks wearing suits and white coats? I forgot that every doctor wears scrubs 24/7...oh wait they don't...

Right the cooks wearing suits and white coats? I forgot that every doctor wears scrubs 24/7...oh wait they don't...

The statement I replied to didn't say anything about wearing white coats..(( At the hospital I volunteer at, I see medical personnel with tattoos running down their arm all the time))... So I replied talking about the main people who walk around the hospital openly showing their tattoo. Medical personnel dosn't only pertain to docs. And you also told the op to just wear long sleeves. Ok, tell me how that feels when may,june, july and august roll around.

Medical personnel dosn't only pertain to docs. And you also told the op to just wear long sleeves. Ok, tell me how that feels when may,june, july and august roll around.

Honestly the people who want to get sleeves usually love tattoos, and if it came down to working in an air conditioned hospital for 4 months with long sleeves only when they work, they yeah it can seem totally worth it to get one.

On a totally unrelated note why have you blacklisted tigerdirect? I always thought they were pretty good.

Sure thing boss.

Back in 2010, there was a glitch in a system in which allowed a TV that was supposed to be on sale for 500, discounted from 720, to be discounted further to 250. Lots of users ordered it and many shipped. Obviously it was price mistake and they corrected it--what happened next puts them in the halls of a blacklisted company forever.

After the TV was shipped for an AGREED upon price, they reversed their stance and began charging the full 500. They even denied they ever shipped TVs for 250. Their CS reps were openly calling people who ordered the glitch criminals and thieves. TD then ordered USPS to halt all deliveries and attempt recovery of already delivered TVs. They would call people who had them delivered and threaten them if they failed to to let USPS come and pick them up. Essentially--it's a BIG No No to change the cost of a transaction post shipment and violates credit card laws. This wasn't some mistake from low level CS reps---head honchos clearly had to be involved to do something as large as to charge nearly triple a transaction cost. TD was given horrible ratings on ResellerRatings and was brought down to a 2.2/10--but then magically, they began to post fake reviews to boost them back up. Horrible company.

Here's the SD Thread that started it all

It was wildly entertaining when it was happening but I'll never buy from that company which acts like that.

Honestly the people who want to get sleeves usually love tattoos, and if it came down to working in an air conditioned hospital for 4 months with long sleeves only when they work, they yeah it can seem totally worth it to get one.

Sounds so simple the way you put it.:rolleyes: OP if you want the tats that bad, knock yourself out buddy. I gave my two cents...

well.....are you getting a tattoo of a medical diagram? JK JK
Feel free to express yourself...

I have a tattoo of the bones in my right arm and hand, including the cracks in the head of my radius from a motorcycle accident (I got it to commemorate my decision to follow my dream of going back to school to become a doctor and to always remind myself how quickly a bad decision can lead to permanent consequences). But, because I knew the realities of the field I was planning to enter, I was smart enough to get it done in UV ink...

That's why docs with full sleeves wear long sleeve shirts under their scrubs. I worked with an anesthesiologist that had 2 sleeves and just wore a long sleeve shirt under his scrubs. Plus, the OR was usually cold so that worked. In a professional setting, your arms never NEED to be shown. Just make sure to stop the sleeve about an inch or two above where your wrist articulates.

Even if you cover it up, you still might be looked down upon, but for different reasons. I've heard multiple anethesiologists talk about viewing collegues who wear scrub jackets all the time with suspicion. They're only doing it to cover the tattoos, but some people begin to talk that they're trying to cover up track marks from drug abuse instead. I don't know how prevalent it is, but I've heard it more than once.

If you're going to be a professional, it's important to keep a clean image. Play it safe, and keep the tattoos limited to places that will be covered when you're wearing a t-shirt and pants.

Lol, like in Starship Troopers. That would be awesome.

Tattoo_DFA.jpg

Last edited:
Sure thing boss.

Back in 2010, there was a glitch in a system in which allowed a TV that was supposed to be on sale for 500, discounted from 720, to be discounted further to 250. Lots of users ordered it and many shipped. Obviously it was price mistake and they corrected it--what happened next puts them in the halls of a blacklisted company forever.

After the TV was shipped for an AGREED upon price, they reversed their stance and began charging the full 500. They even denied they ever shipped TVs for 250. Their CS reps were openly calling people who ordered the glitch criminals and thieves. TD then ordered USPS to halt all deliveries and attempt recovery of already delivered TVs. They would call people who had them delivered and threaten them if they failed to to let USPS come and pick them up. Essentially--it's a BIG No No to change the cost of a transaction post shipment and violates credit card laws. This wasn't some mistake from low level CS reps---head honchos clearly had to be involved to do something as large as to charge nearly triple a transaction cost. TD was given horrible ratings on ResellerRatings and was brought down to a 2.2/10--but then magically, they began to post fake reviews to boost them back up. Horrible company.

Here's the SD Thread that started it all

It was wildly entertaining when it was happening but I'll never buy from that company which acts like that.

Damn that's crazy...never knew about that before.

Does anyone have any advice for someone that ALREADY has a large tattoo on both wrists?

I know that I can hide them for the interview, but I'm worried about rotations. How will I hide them on surgical and ob/gyn rotations?

I thought about wearing tattoo makeup over them but I just remembered that scrubbing involves the arms as well.

What exactly does a "scrub jacket" look like and am I allowed to wear it outside of the OR?

Does anyone have any advice for someone that ALREADY has a large tattoo on both wrists?

I know that I can hide them for the interview, but I'm worried about rotations. How will I hide them on surgical and ob/gyn rotations?

I thought about wearing tattoo makeup over them but I just remembered that scrubbing involves the arms as well.

What exactly does a "scrub jacket" look like and am I allowed to wear it outside of the OR?

I'm not even close to an expert on this but once you get to rotations will anyone really care if you have tattoos? I mean you've completed the first two years of medical school that should say enough about your character

You should use the search function. There are more tattoo threads than you can comfortably shake a stick at.

Look, you have your whole life to do stupid, semi-permanent things. Why not just wait until residency? By that point you will know the culture and be more confident in making a decision to look like a sociopath.

You should use the search function. There are more tattoo threads than you can comfortably shake a stick at.

Look, you have your whole life to do stupid, semi-permanent things. Why not just wait until residency? By that point you will know the culture and be more confident in making a decision to look like a sociopath.
Oh the absolute ignorance.

Want a tattoo? Get one.
Think interviewers will think of you differently if you have a tattoo? Wear a suit.
Think patients will not want to be treated by a tattooed doctor? Wear a lab coat or long sleeves under your scrubs (hospitals are freezing cold anyway).
Have a large tattoo on your wrist? Band-aids are amazing at covering things up.
Care about what other pre-meds think about tattoos? Don't think I can help you there.

I have tattoos on my back shoulder and upper arm and I plan to get many more, before and after medical school. The truth is that tattoos are becoming more and more prevalent, so if you want one, get one.

I'm not even close to an expert on this but once you get to rotations will anyone really care if you have tattoos? I mean you've completed the first two years of medical school that should say enough about your character

Completing the first two years of medical schools says nothing about your character (a la craigslist killer). You will come to understand that people will judge you, regardless of your previous accomplishments. If an attending or resident thinks tattoos are trashy and you go on his or her service, then you can bet you will be judged if those tats are visible.

I have tattoos on my back shoulder and upper arm and I plan to get many more, before and after medical school. The truth is that tattoos are becoming more and more prevalent, so if you want one, get one.

They may be becoming more prevalent in society in general, but not more prevalent in medicine.

With that said, sure if you want a tattoo get one. Just know that if you do get one that's easily visible, you will be judged negatively by some whether you like it or not. Why risk it?

I don't know, a lot of nurses I know have tattoos, but yes I agree that right now tattoos are not more prevalent in medicine but you people must realize that life extends past your job. Doctors are part of the general population (unless you're in the armed forces, and in that case no one gives a F if you have tattoos or not) and simply put, if you want one, get one. Just cover them up, my goodness it's not that difficult. Clothes are amazing for covering up skin.

Plus if you're a physician who is hired by a hospital and then fired because of a tattoo your employer eventually found out about (that's not obscene or racist or something), you'll end up with enough money to buy a hospital of your own.

Judging someone based on their tattoos is incredibly stupid, and if you're a med student who is treated unfairly because of that, I suggest you report any discriminating acts to your superiors. Discrimination is illegal and all cases of it need to be reported. But that's only if you're treated unfairly, if you are just being judged then who cares? People are going to judge you whether you have tattoos or whether you have a glowing halo over your head.

Last edited:
Get it an cover it up regularly. Just don't be in the middle of a desert state and have to wear long sleeves all the time.:D

The statement I replied to didn't say anything about wearing white coats..(( At the hospital I volunteer at, I see medical personnel with tattoos running down their arm all the time))... So I replied talking about the main people who walk around the hospital openly showing their tattoo. Medical personnel dosn't only pertain to docs. And you also told the op to just wear long sleeves. Ok, tell me how that feels when may,june, july and august roll around.

They were wearing scrubs.

I assume that medical personnel wear scrubs.

Just to point out, many hospitals don't allow long sleeves under scrubs. And if they do, you cannot in the OR.

Get a tattoo if you want. Even get one that may not be covered completely.It won't be complete career suicide or anything like that. However, I would never recommend a full sleeve. Maybe I just don't get tattoos, but I have no idea why you would need several, and I certainly cannot comprehend a full sleeve. There will be people who judge and they may even discriminate without realizing it.

Again, it's your choice. Maybe I just don't get tattoos, but I cannot think of a tattoo that would ever be worth risking any sort of career ramifications. And if you do really, really need one, get it on your torso or upper arm where it can be covered IN SCRUBS.

You'll probably thank yourself within 5 years.