Can I apply for Medicaid as a medical student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msavvy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think there's something that I'm not understand here because I would think more medical students would talk about/qualify for Medicaid. I'm fairly young, so I've only been up to date with US healthcare post-Obamacare Medicaid expansion (this is where my ignorance may come from).

Currently, I am under 26 years old with Medicaid through my family (parents' income + dependents were eligible). I was considering applying for Medicaid when I get to medical school because I thought that as a student, my income would be $0 -- so wouldn't I qualify?

Why isn't EVERY medical student eligible for Medicaid? Did they choose to buy the school's health plan for other reasons? I guess I'm just confused about the entire thing because it seems so clear in my situation to apply for Medicaid?

Also one more thing, do med school scholarships count as income? I read some documents saying that "scholarships" do count, but I don't believe it would if the scholarship was not taxable. I assume that med school scholarships are not taxable...

Members don't see this ad.

Easy. They count your loans as "unearned income", which makes you automatically ineligible.

I went through this in undergrad.

I know medical students on Medicaid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure all medical schools require you carry private insurance. They offer a plan you can pay for, or you can be covered by your parents private insurance.

I don't think Medicaid qualifies, so they'll just tax an extra 2-3k on tuition every year for insurnace

Your med school will also have minimum requirements for how much insurance you are required to carry which may be more than what is offered through Medicaid.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
If loans were considered income, then they would be taxed
Your understanding is incorrect. Aid programs request information regarding all sources of income, not just taxable income. Student loan distributions, monies from relatives, etc must all be declared. And this information is verified by the agencies. Ex: Oh, you have zero income but live alone in a apt with $800/month rent... how are you paying the rent?

I think there's some flexibility from state to state, given whether or not they wanted to expand medicaid under Obamacare. Honestly, it's unlikely, but you might be able to shop for a baseline marketplace plan that would be pretty cheap, though obviously not as ideal as medicaid.

Your understanding is incorrect. Aid programs request information regarding all sources of income, not just taxable income. Student loan distributions, monies from relatives, etc must all be declared. And this information is verified by the agencies. Ex: Oh, you have zero income but live alone in a apt with $800/month rent... how are you paying the rent?

If what you're saying was true then I wouldn't be receiving Medicaid right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Good question... I'm not sure about the loans and stuff - but I am on Medicaid.

To someone above^, you can't be on medicaid and dependent on your parents - unless your parents are on medicaid and you are under 25.

Just apply and see if you get approved :D

In awe at how much nonsense some people on this board spout. How do you go about making these claims if you have no idea what you're talking about?

Easy. They count your loans as "unearned income", which makes you automatically ineligible.

I went through this in undergrad.

FALSE and if anything, the reason why you were probably not eligible for medicaid during undergrad (if that is what you're alluding to) was because you were a dependent of your parents.

I know medical students on Medicaid.

TRUE

Pretty sure all medical schools require you carry private insurance. They offer a plan you can pay for, or you can be covered by your parents private insurance.

I don't think Medicaid qualifies, so they'll just tax an extra 2-3k on tuition every year for insurnace

PATENTLY FALSE. ALL "Require" you to carry private insurance? Did you really just say you were pretty sure...

Student loans are NOT considered income for purposes of income for Medicaid

https://marketplace.cms.gov/technical-assistance-resources/fast-facts-medicaid-chip.pdf
The main method for calculating eligibility for Medicaid and CHIP for most populations is
Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI). This method is generally used to determine the
eligibility for children, pregnant women, parents, and single adults enrolled under the new adult
eligibility group created by the Affordable Care Act. MAGI is the consumer’s adjusted gross
income plus any tax -exempt Social Security, interest, or foreign income they might have. For

example, earned wages and unemployment benefits are counted in the MAGI calculation, while
child support and student loans are not. Household size and composition are important for the
purposes of calculating MAGI and determining Medicaid eligibility. The basic equation for
calculating household size, or the number of individuals in a family, is: Tax Filers + Tax
Dependents = Household Size.

Medicare money is essentially a "block grant" to each state which makes eligibility rules and directly administers it. While it can't change the income requirement, it can change, create, or disqualify classes of people. In other words, the state decides who is eligible to receive it .

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/y...so-many-health-plans-to-choose-from.html?_r=0
One possibility may be Medicaid, the federal-state insurance program for low-income people. Traditionally, Medicaid coverage has been limited to children, pregnant women and the disabled. But under the health care law, some states are expanding eligibility to cover low-income adults.

Great information as usual.

Good question... I'm not sure about the loans and stuff - but I am on Medicaid.

To someone above^, you can't be on medicaid and dependent on your parents - unless your parents are on medicaid and you are under 25.

Just apply and see if you get approved :D

True x1000. If you're independent of your parents and don't make ****, give it a shot.

And to OP, the reason why most medical students don't just get on medicaid is because the majority of them are under 25 (whatever the exact number may be) and can continue to be put under their parents policies. Chances are your parents are still claiming you for tax purposes as well. Their salary essentially becomes your salary and I think you can't make more than 10K a year/have that much in assets to qualify... (don't quote me on the exact number)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
^^most students' stay on their parents plans as this tends to be the most affordable health insurance option and provides the best coverage.

Also, it is possible that the student health centers at medical schools don't take Medicaid and thus finding a provider might not be easy/convenient. May be school specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn. Well, my loans counted against me for medicaid back in 2011, guess things have changed.

In awe at how much nonsense some people on this board spout. How do you go about making these claims if you have no idea what you're talking about?

FALSE and if anything, the reason why you were probably not eligible for medicaid during undergrad (if that is what you're alluding to) was because you were a dependent of your parents.

TRUE

PATENTLY FALSE. ALL "Require" you to carry private insurance? Did you really just say you were pretty sure...

Great information as usual.

True x1000. If you're independent of your parents and don't make ****, give it a shot.

And to OP, the reason why most medical students don't just get on medicaid is because the majority of them are under 25 (whatever the exact number may be) and can continue to be put under their parents policies. Chances are your parents are still claiming you for tax purposes as well. Their salary essentially becomes your salary and I think you can't make more than 10K a year/have that much in assets to qualify... (don't quote me on the exact number)

Im only stating what I was TOLD way back when. It had nothing to do with my parents. Please dont make assumptions. I was on medicaid until i turned 21, and they denied my application after that for that stated reason.

Ok redhope lets calm down lol. I said pretty sure because I am pretty sure (as opposed to 100% sure)

As far as I know all medical schools DO require you to carry insurnace. It covers their asses and the students. The matter of if a financially independent med student can get medicaid, and if Medicaid then fulfills a given schools insurnace requirement probably varies based on situation.

Thanks for the info everyone! Easy solution would be to just apply and see if I qualify.

Things I've taken away from this post
  • Income for Medicaid is taken by a metric called MAGI - student loans DO NOT count toward income in this case
  • Every state has different rules for Medicaid eligibility
  • Schools have specific rules on what type of insurance is acceptable
While doing research, I found this really informative post from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for those under 26, article isn't dated though
http://www.bcbs.com/blog/under-26-h...referrer=https://www.google.com/#.VvxA1BIrJTY

I'll have to see if my school will accept Medicaid as the insurance, but damn I can now see how insurance is so complicated and how some people with poor understanding get shafted.

You should certainly apply! As far as the school's requirement for having health insurance goes, I would bet they would be fine with you using Medicaid to fill that requirement. However, whether or not your school's own health center will see you for visits with that type of insurance I am unsure of. You may need to look for a provider elsewhere.

Thanks for the info everyone! Easy solution would be to just apply and see if I qualify.

Things I've taken away from this post
  • Income for Medicaid is taken by a metric called MAGI - student loans DO NOT count toward income in this case
  • Every state has different rules for Medicaid eligibility
  • Schools have specific rules on what type of insurance is acceptable
While doing research, I found this really informative post from Blue Cross/Blue Shield for those under 26, article isn't dated though
http://www.bcbs.com/blog/under-26-h...referrer=https://www.google.com/#.VvxA1BIrJTY

I'll have to see if my school will accept Medicaid as the insurance, but damn I can now see how insurance is so complicated and how some people with poor understanding get shafted.

as long as your school is in a state that has expanded state-medicaid and your school also takes medicaid's policies, which most likely they will, and you are in the income bracket eligible for your state's medicaid, you will basically get free health insurance.

if you aren't in a state with expanded state-medicaid. you pay full price for your own insurance or if you somehow achieve an income to meet obamacare threshold, you can purchase a federally subsidized (on a spectrum dependent on income) plan through the insurance marketplace.

*i should add. there are eligibility calculators for your state's medicaid and subsidy calculators for obamacare in each of the respective gov websites to see what you are eligible for.

Last edited:
I have an additional question. Can you get medicaid in a state if you are not a resident of that state? I am moving OS for med school and wonder if I can get covered in my new state.

I have an additional question. Can you get medicaid in a state if you are not a resident of that state? I am moving OS for med school and wonder if I can get covered in my new state.

state medicaid is barred from requiring length-of-stay residency requirements.

I know people in med school on medicaid. I didn't apply because I didn't think I was eligible and I could have saved a few thousand dollars. It sounds great if you're above 26 and not eligible for your parent's plan.

Pretty sure I am going to get the boot from my mom's cushy state insurance halfway through 4th year (turn 26 in November 2019). I will have to keep this in mind for my last semester