can I ask my childs doctor to be my mentor and if so is it a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Girlneuro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this yesterday but I think I posted in the wrong thread by accident
I am just wondering if it's appropriate to ask my child's Neurologist if she would be willing to be my Pre med mentor? Not sure what the rules are in something like this? Where the code of conduct/ patient Doctor relationship applies to this situation.

I know from being a CNA at the hospital we were told 0 relationships what so ever and no communication outside the care setting with the patients and if they were friends or family or even a neighbor we needed to report to the charge nurse because we needed to have someone else be their care team instead of us.

So im a bit confused seeing as how my son's entire med team knows I am pre med they know the school I am hoping to get into the most is the med school attached to the hospital, and they have asked me alot of questions (what are my grades, planned specialty ect).. as some of them are on the board or are the professors.
The pre med academic advisor at my transfer university said to start by asking my own doctor or my child's doctor but he has also given me wrong advice in the past. I would prefer to have a mentor who is in the specialty I am planning on.

Members don't see this ad.

I posted this yesterday but I think I posted in the wrong thread by accident
I am just wondering if it's appropriate to ask my child's Neurologist if she would be willing to be my Pre med mentor? Not sure what the rules are in something like this? Where the code of conduct/ patient Doctor relationship applies to this situation.

I know from being a CNA at the hospital we were told 0 relationships what so ever and no communication outside the care setting with the patients and if they were friends or family or even a neighbor we needed to report to the charge nurse because we needed to have someone else be their care team instead of us.

So im a bit confused seeing as how my son's entire med team knows I am pre med they know the school I am hoping to get into the most is the med school attached to the hospital, and they have asked me alot of questions (what are my grades, planned specialty ect).. as some of them are on the board or are the professors.
The pre med academic advisor at my transfer university said to start by asking my own doctor or my child's doctor but he has also given me wrong advice in the past. I would prefer to have a mentor who is in the specialty I am planning on.

You can ask. It's probably physician dependent whether they would say yes or no. It's not really inappropriate, but some physicians will decide that they'd rather not risk the doctor/patient relationship that way. Or you can just ask if they can recommend someone and see if they want to offer to do it themselves.

Reactions: 1 user