Can I be a Dermatologist with DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't find myself harboring a terrible abount of respect for dermatologists. I mean, I'm sure they don't care what J Senpai thinks, but I have trouble looking at them the same way I might look at a pediatric oncologist, at face value.

That said, it's interesting to read your post here. Do you think that the rigors of med school make students particularly creamy for derm, even if they have had or have other plans?
Wow this post is so ignorant and stupid that it's hard to comprehend. Only a pre med would say that they don't have the same respect for a specific specialty compared to another. Please get off your high horse and your holier than thou attitude. If in the future, you somehow have melanoma or psoriasis, by all mean say this to the face of the dermatologist...seriously, go educate yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow this post is so ignorant and stupid that it's hard to comprehend. Only a pre med would say that they don't have the same respect for a specific specialty compared to another. Please get off your high horse and your holier than thou attitude. If in the future, you somehow have melanoma or psoriasis, by all mean say this to the face of the dermatologist...seriously, go educate yourself.
You're going to have a hard time in medicine if you don't enjoy everything turning into a pissing contest.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to have a hard time in medicine if you don't enjoy everything turning into a pissing contest.
Nah I'll be just fine. Physicians in any specialty make fun of people in other specialty all the time but when it comes to not respecting a physician because he or she is in a particular specialty... that has never been something I witnessed. Pissing contest is most often about whose work matter the most but most people understand that every specialty work matters and respectable.

Ok bud, I'm talking about my perceptions, thus the "at face value" qualifier. If you'd read more carefully you would have understood that I was trying to also communicate that I do you have a limited understanding. *@Mad Jack , I was speaking to cosmetics -- I should have been clear* I was attempting to initiate a discussion about why people might gun for dermatology when they previously may have had goals to enter a specialty for reasons that don't necessarily circulate around the concepts of hours worked per week and income (the poster to whom I was speaking brought up some other points). This has been brought up in other threads as well--for instance the thread about Yale students who are all up in arms about social issues, while only a handful of them enter primary care specialties. Given MJ's post I wanted to talk about how so many meds students he knows would jump at the opportunity to enter dermatology.

I apologize that I got you super mad but I hope that clears things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok bud, I'm talking about my perceptions, thus the "at face value" qualifier. If you'd read more carefully you would have understood that I was trying to also communicate that I do you have a limited understanding. *@Mad Jack , I was speaking to cosmetics -- I should have been clear* I was attempting to initiate a discussion about why people might gun for dermatology when they previously may have had goals to enter a specialty for reasons that don't necessarily circulate around the concepts of hours worked per week and income (the poster to whom I was speaking brought up some other points). This has been brought up in other threads as well--for instance the thread about Yale students who are all up in arms about social issues, while only a handful of them enter primary care specialties. Given MJ's post I wanted to talk about how so many meds students he knows would jump at the opportunity to enter dermatology.

I apologize that I got you super mad but I hope that clears things up.
It did. The work of any physician is important that's why I was a little upset. But honestly though, I never get why people are not pleased at those who choose to work in cosmetic oriented practice. It might seem vain and unnecessary to most people but there are people out there who, if not for cosmetic procedures, would suffer from various mental health problems that would affect other aspect of their lives just as much as some other medical conditions. Plenty of studies have documented the great decrease in quality of life with patient suffer from non life threatening skin condition (e.g., acne). Good looking people also have more advantage in society which is not to be understated. Not to mention the incredible level of achievement one must have to become a dermatologist...that along commend some respect.

Reactions: 1 user
Go back to pre-allo. Nobody needs you over here to argue stupid minutiae and stir the pot. That is what you do whenever you post in any of these threads.