Can I become an MD with a full sleeve of tattoos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging people based on their look is a problem.

No it’s not. Elective body modification is a conscious decision. It is 100% appropriate to judge someone based on the decisions they make, and question how they will make decisions in the future based on the ones they’ve made in the past. You are also missing a huge point: your job in medicine isn’t to go around trying to change patients’ personal world views. The fact that you seem to be implying that shows a very selfish perspective, one that will get you rejected a whole lot faster than an arm tattoo (news flash no one is getting rejected because of an arm tattoo).

“Not letting people do good in the world because of tattoos” do you even hear yourself? Dramatic much? No one is prevented from being in medicine because of some tattoo, unless it is obscene or like a face tattoo or something. This thread has multiple examples. It’s not some great social travesty with all these people being denied entrance to medicine. Get over it.

Like I’ve said this entire thread. OP will not have a problem getting into medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
In 2019, there are fewer and fewer employers who require tattoos to be covered. I started nursing back in the day when *all* tattoos had to be bandaged/covered with makeup etc., but these days I'd say it's more typical for the rules to only be about offensive tattoos (remember that offensiveness is subjective, though)

The truth is that a decent portion of elderly folks will judge people with tattoos. This is pretty easily remedied by wearing long sleeves or other covering garments. We've already hashed the negative perceptions that can exist... It doesn't really matter if they are right or wrong, it happens. It's up to the individual if they choose to deal with it or not.

There is a sizable demographic of patients who prefer tattooed healthcare workers, though. They feel like they relate better to people who are more like them, and it brings them comfort. There's articles about that, but I think they are a little exaggerated.

If I had to guess, there are more people who see tattoos negatively than positively (and the largest demographic probably doesn't care at all), however, most people are smart enough to want the *best* doctor and are willing to compromise on other factors such as their comfort with the doc's physical appearance.

I worked for years with a physician who looked and dressed as a homeless person would. His patients loved him. His consults took some winning over. He made it work.

All that said, for any premeds reading this: Unless you want to add a huge negative to your application, don't get any unnecessary tattoos that cannot be covered in an interview. A veteran with a meaningful arm sleeve that a white coat covers=/=looking like lil Xan, and right or wrong you don't want to be in the situation where your art destroys your career before it even starts

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
People in this this thread: "Tattoos are fine. People won't think less of you."
Also people in this thread: "The best way to cover up your tattoos is....."

Here are some fun stats:
- People with tattoos are 630% more likely to have Hepatitis C that those without.
- Crime theory correlates tattoos with impulsiveness and criminal behavior.
- 62.1% of Millennials surveyed said that they would discriminate against people with tattoos.
- Studies show that people with tattoos are considered by their peers to be less intelligent and more easily influenced.

Sources:
Dukes, Richard L. "Regret among tattooed adolescents." The Social Science Journal 53.4 (2016): 455-458. EBSCOhost, doi:10.1016/j.soscij.2016.08.004

Foltz, Kristen A. “The Millennial’s Perception of Tattoos: Self Expression or Business Faux Pas?” College Student Journal, vol. 48, no. 4, Winter 2014, pp. 589–602.

Haley, Robert W., and R. Paul Fischer. "Commercial tattooing as a potentially important source of hepatitis C infection: clinical epidemiology of 626 consecutive patients unaware of their hepatitis C serologic status." Medicine 80.2 (2001): 134-151.

Resenhoeft, Annette, et al. “Tattoos Can Harm Perceptions: A Study and Suggestions.” Journal of American College Health, vol. 56, no. 5, Mar. 2008, pp. 593–596. EBSCOhost, doi:10.3200/JACH.56.5.593-596
These are all correlational studies that have confounding variables.

I'm really stunned that people are debating about the morality of tattoos in the year 2019. The majority of the people I know have some sort of tattoo.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really stunned that people are debating about the morality of tattoos in the year 2019. The majority of the people I know have some sort of tattoo.

Nobody is arguing the morality of tattoos. (I'm not even sure that's a thing.)

We are arguing the impact that visible tattoos have on a physician's career.

Reactions: 1 user
Nobody is arguing the morality of tattoos. (I'm not even sure that's a thing.)

We are arguing the impact that visible tattoos have on a physician's career.
Using proper terms does not conceal the fact that individuals are arguing about the morality of tattoos.

Morality is distinguishing between right and wrong behavior. As some individuals in this thread have unashamedly announced, tattoos are so bad that they have a permanent negative mark on an individual's character. This is a moral statement.

As for the impact a visible tattoo might have on a physician's career: none. I see many nurses on the unit I volunteer at with visible tattoos. There is no judgement that comes their way. If we are talking face and neck tattoos the scenario might be different but they are so rare that having that discussion may as well be a non-sequitor.

Reactions: 2 users
No it’s not. Elective body modification is a conscious decision. It is 100% appropriate to judge someone based on the decisions they make, and question how they will make decisions in the future based on the ones they’ve made in the past. You are also missing a huge point: your job in medicine isn’t to go around trying to change patients’ personal world views. The fact that you seem to be implying that shows a very selfish perspective, one that will get you rejected a whole lot faster than an arm tattoo (news flash no one is getting rejected because of an arm tattoo).

“Not letting people do good in the world because of tattoos” do you even hear yourself? Dramatic much? No one is prevented from being in medicine because of some tattoo, unless it is obscene or like a face tattoo or something. This thread has multiple examples. It’s not some great social travesty with all these people being denied entrance to medicine. Get over it.

Like I’ve said this entire thread. OP will not have a problem getting into medical school.
This post does not make any sense. You're shying away from the debate.. turning into a rude battle. I'm done here. Namaste...

Reactions: 2 users
Will having visible tattoos hurt your:
1. Odds of becoming a physician?
2. Opportunities after you become a physician?

First, I think it is important that we dispel the childish notion that it's always wrong to judge people by their appearance.

I call it a “childish notion” because it's the kind of thinking that a child is capable of. We teach children that things are "good" or "bad" because dichotomy is all they're able to understand. As we grow, our ability to see the gray area between black and white absolutes should grow along with us.

Here is an extreme example of when the "It's always wrong to judge someone by their appearance!" maxim does not apply.
(Incidentally, you should be able to think these up on your own by this stage of your life.):

A black woman in the deep South is walking alone when she sees a group of 30-40 year old men with shaved heads and swastika tattoos. Should she judge them "based on a decision they made when they were 18-20" and avoid the group?

Some people might say that she's not "judging" the men - in an effort to hang on to the black and white absolute of "judgement = bad". But that's exactly what's she's doing. She's judging them to determine if they’re a threat. (Also, how would she know when they got the tattoo?)

Another less extreme example of judgment is the interview. If a man shows up to an interview with a tie, well-polished shoes, a well-fitted suit, and treats everyone with good manners, he is showing:
1. He is sensitive cultural norms and customs.
2. Respect for his interviewers by making the effort required to maintain a “good” appearance and manners.

Your appearance is a method of communication. Business people wear suits to signal that they are in business. Police officers wear uniforms to signal authority. People get visible tattoos of swastikas, the Star of David, or a crucifix to inform others of their beliefs.

“But wait Isley! YOU DON’T KNOW THAT! They might be getting it for their own PERSONAL REASONS!!!!111.” Yes, I’m sure that they are. However, if you choose to get a visible tattoo (or wear flip-flops to an interview, or wear a bow tie instead of a long tie), you are also communicating something to your tribe, and this is important: whether you mean to or not.

“BUT IT’S WRONG TO MAKE JUDGEMENTS BASED ON THAT!!!11” See: Childish dichotomies above. Evolutionarily, we make have to make judgements – sometimes quickly, sometimes lazily, but it’s how we do. Education and conditioning can help us prevent that lazy snap judgement about people based on their appearance. However, willful ignorance of reality can get us shanked by neo-nazis because we don’t want “appear judgmental”. (Yes, I know that this is an extreme example. I’m illustrating a point. “Isley says that if we don’t scorn people with tattoos, we’ll all get shanked by neo-nazis!!!111” Ah, no. Please keep your brains turned on for the duration of the post.)

“I got a tattoo of my dad who died as a first responder on 9-11. I got it for my own personal reasons and not to communicate anything to anyone you pretentious pr1ck!! I don’t care what you or anyone thinks about it!!! Etc.” If you got it on your shoulder, sure. If you got it on your forehead, no. In either case, if you got a visible tattoo you’re communicating something to the people you see – in this case that you cared about your father. That’s great - and a tattoo like that might be an exception to the rule. But is visibly expressing your love for Harley Davidson or My Little Pony in permanent ink… professional?

The clear answer is no – it is not professional. “But I know Dr. Anecdote who has tattoo sleeves on both of his arms and he’s the bestest, most professional physician that… blah, blah, blah.” I’m not saying that having tattoos means you can’t act in professional manner. What I’m saying is that it looks unprofessional. Humans don’t have the time or energy to get to know the heart-of-hearts of every person that they meet. We judge people by appearance – sometimes out of necessity, sometimes out of habit. Regardless, we do it.

So, will having a visible tattoo affect your:
1. Odds of becoming a physician? I’m inclined to say “possibly”. If it’s your 9-11 dead dad, probably not (depending on how large and visible). If it’s My Little Pony or a swastika, I’m going to say yes.

2. Opportunities after you become a physician? I’m going to say “definitely”. People make unconscious judgments about others constantly. Those factor into larger decisions about who gets what opportunities. Should it? Doesn’t matter – it happens. Indeed, that’s why race is given protected status – to fight institutional racism that results from these types of micro-decisions. (And gender, and age.) Tattoos can never and will never be given that type of protected status – partly because they are elective and partly because they are so variable (My Little Pony vs. skulls vs. tattoos of pigs having sex).

In conclusion: Visible tattoos will most likely have a negative impact on your career as a physician.

p.s. Isley is a jerk for pointing out uncomfortable truths. Let’s:
- Dismiss him as a person, thereby voiding his argument.
- Twist his argument in a way that we can refute something that sounds similar to but is in fact different than what he is arguing.
- Call him a My Little Pony hating neo-nazi. (<- My favorite if you’re not sure which to choose.)

Last edited:
Using proper terms does not conceal the fact that individuals are arguing about the morality of tattoos.

We use proper terms so that we're not arguing past each other.

Morality is distinguishing between right and wrong behavior. As some individuals in this thread have unashamedly announced, tattoos are so bad that they have a permanent negative mark on an individual's character. This is a moral statement.

I don't think anyone has said that tattoos make you a "bad person". If they did, that's stupid. What I've seen (and said) is that having a tattoo will make you look less professional. That's not a moral stance.

Reactions: 1 user
This post does not make any sense. You're shying away from the debate.. turning into a rude battle. I'm done here. Namaste...

I addressed your comments directly. I am blunt, which isn't the same as being rude. If you can't see the difference between judging someone for the decisions they make regarding elective body modifications and judging something that is simply inherent to their being like "african american hair," as was brought up earlier then yes our discussion is over. There simply isn't a debate to be had, having visible tattoos WILL cause some patients to view you negatively, and no it isn't some grave social injustice.

Conclusion: cover your tattoos when you can (interviews and other very professional situations where it matters), and don't worry about it when you can't. Once you become a doctor you will be busy regardless. People will be people.

Reactions: 7 users
I think SDN is trying to tell you something

1F9D076C-2233-4127-BEA1-5ACBBACE7723.png

• Haha

I'm trying really hard to follow where you're taking offense here, but I think you're missing @AnatomyGrey12's point entirely. He's not saying that no one judges people for their hairstyles - obviously they do, but it tends to be tied into larger racial judgements/lack of understanding of other cultures, and is therefore more easily condemned. And while it sucks that people are judged for tattoos, its true that tattoos are pretty much always a true personal choice, you're not born with them. While there are many tattoos around the world with important cultural significance (which would then be more like the hair argument), most tattoos that med school applicants have are more of a personal/aesthetic choice.

While in my own personal view I think that no one should be judged for their personal choice to get non-offensive tattoos (I have one myself), I get why he's saying that it's just not the same thing as being judged for the hair that you were born with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.