You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If I sign up for my mcat but later decide I don't want to take it on that date, can I just not attend the test date instead of paying the $60 cancellation fee?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you will receive $0 back that way. Why would the AAMC have a loophole that works that way?
If you want a partial refund and are still eligible for one, then do that.
https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/reserving/85516/reserving_changesandcancellations.html
If you don't cancel, what would prevent you from receiving a 0/0/0 score?
If I sign up for my mcat but later decide I don't want to take it on that date, can I just not attend the test date instead of paying the $60 cancellation fee?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
- The AAMC's policy that they won't score the test if you don't show. page 17, https://www.aamc.org/students/download/63060/data/mcatessentials.pdfIf you don't cancel, what would prevent you from receiving a 0/0/0 score?
- The fact that 0 is not a valid score, each section is (was) scored in the 1-15 range. Same document, page 9.
I did this, but it should also be noted that voiding a score counts as one of 3 times that you're allowed to take the test. If you void the test and then screw it up another 2 times, you can't apply that cycle basically.Or go and void, seems like a much better option to me. You would get to sit for the exam and have the experience, wouldn't cost you anything, and wouldn't show up on your reports at all IIRC.
- The AAMC's policy that they won't score the test if you don't show. page 17, https://www.aamc.org/students/download/63060/data/mcatessentials.pdf
- The fact that 0 is not a valid score, each section is (was) scored in the 1-15 range. Same document, page 9.
I'm pretty sure Goro knows these things.
If he does, he is doing a very poor job of demonstrating that knowledge. Which helps no one, especially not the OP.I'm pretty sure Goro knows these things.
I did this, but it should also be noted that voiding a score counts as one of 3 times that you're allowed to take the test. If you void the test and then screw it up another 2 times, you can't apply that cycle basically.
If you take it twice in a year and screw them both up you shouldn't be applying that cycle anyway if you ask me, you're not ready.
If you take it and void, it will count as one of your three attempts for the year, but will NOT be scored.
Adcoms have far more important things to do than worry about entrance exam logistics.If he does, he is doing a very poor job of demonstrating that knowledge. Which helps no one, especially not the OP.
Can you share where you're seeing anything about a $60 cancellation fee? I'm looking at the 2015 MCAT Essentials (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/63060/data/mcatessentials.pdf) section on cancellation (pg. 15) and all I see is that you can get a partial refund if you cancel before the gold zone registration deadline, but otherwise you get no refund. I don't see anything about a cancellation fee.If I sign up for my mcat but later decide I don't want to take it on that date, can I just not attend the test date instead of paying the $60 cancellation fee?
Also, to those of you pointing out that voiding counts towards your 3 attempts per year, no-showing also counts towards this (pg. 16).
Then why did he reply?Adcoms have far more important things to do than worry about entrance exam logistics.
Edit: FWIW, I also couldn't find anything on cancellation fees; only cancellation refunds that are dependent on when you cancel.
To answer the OP, being a no-show will not cost you extra money. You already paid for the test and you will not get a refund.
If you cancel in advance (many days in advance), then you can receive a partial refund. The size of the refund is larger the farther in advance you cancel. However, if the test is in 5 days, you have already lost all the money, and cancelling is no cheaper than just being a no-show.
Cancelling never costs extra money, there is no $60 cancellation fee. Cancelling can get you a partial refund depending on the date, but it never costs money.
If you cancel in advance (many days in advance), then you can receive a partial refund. The size of the refund is larger the farther in advance you cancel. However, if the test is in 5 days, you have already lost all the money, and cancelling is no cheaper than just being a no-show.
Cancelling never costs extra money, there is no $60 cancellation fee. Cancelling can get you a partial refund depending on the date, but it never costs money.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 911
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 884
- Replies
- 19
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K