Can I collect unemployment after finishing residency but waiting for credentialing on new position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leonardsean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a long story, but I find myself looking for FM positions (and will be signing shortly) a little bit late in the process. I will be graduating from residency in the next few weeks, then the company I will be signing with told me they can credential me in 6 weeks.

That will be a long 6 weeks without a paycheck (even a small resident pay check).

Can graduated residents collect unemployment?

Is medical residency considered an employed position as far as the unemployment folks are concerned?

Thanks,

--Sean

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. Even if you could, wow. It would have never even crossed my mind to see if this was possible.

After 3 years of residency, you don't have enough saved up to live six weeks between jobs? Maybe 8 or 9 weeks without a paycheck? Even then, you could literally carry a balance on credit cards for one cycle.

This does not seem to be the intended use of unemployment insurance.

Reactions: 5 users
Wow. Even if you could, wow. It would have never even crossed my mind to see if this was possible.

After 3 years of residency, you don't have enough saved up to live six weeks between jobs? Maybe 8 or 9 weeks without a paycheck? Even then, you could literally carry a balance on credit cards for one cycle.

This does not seem to be the intended use of unemployment insurance.

I have a family and work for one of the lowest paying residencies out there. Even with two incomes we have been having trouble making ends meet for the last 3 years and now with the break in employment it becomes difficult.

Do you have any unrestricted licenses? Even with just one license, you could work at a federal facility, I think including with the IHS. You might be separated from your family, but we're only talking about a few weeks here and it seems better to me than unemployment checks.

It's a long story, but I find myself looking for FM positions (and will be signing shortly) a little bit late in the process. I will be graduating from residency in the next few weeks, then the company I will be signing with told me they can credential me in 6 weeks.

That will be a long 6 weeks without a paycheck (even a small resident pay check).

Is medical residency considered an employed position as far as the unemployment folks are concerned?

Thanks,

--Sean

You can get credentialed for one of those jobs doing Medicare H&Ps and make some decent money while waiting on your full time job.

I've done moonlighting where credentialing and privileging was completed within a week. Most places have a mechanism to grant emergency privileges, and if they're desperate enough then they'll make it happen.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks,

--Sean
Your right to collect unemployment will depend on the unemployment statutes and regulations in the state where you trained as a resident. I suspect that in most states residents cannot successfully claim unemployment benefits. Even if you could collect, I wouldn't do it if I were you. This claim would probably drive up the unemployment tax rate of the institution where you trained and the institution would know it was you who filed the claim. You might be burning a few bridges here.

Thanks,

--Sean

Are you not getting a signing bonus? If you are just make sure your contract states that the bonus is payable the day after you graduate (or even before).

Are you not getting a signing bonus? If you are just make sure your contract states that the bonus is payable the day after you graduate (or even before).

This is not always possible. Some of my residents who graduate have contracts that pay their bonuses on their first paycheck. Locally, we can't legally pay anyone until they are actually hired, plus we don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get the money back if someone fails their onboarding process, which apparently happens more frequently than you might expect.

One creative contract gave the bonus as a loan immediately, then once hired they would forgive the loan in installments. Still leaves the place on the hook for getting you to pay back the loan if you don't start (but they probably try briefly, then hand it to a collection agency if needed).

This is not always possible. Some of my residents who graduate have contracts that pay their bonuses on their first paycheck. Locally, we can't legally pay anyone until they are actually hired, plus we don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to get the money back if someone fails their onboarding process, which apparently happens more frequently than you might expect.

One creative contract gave the bonus as a loan immediately, then once hired they would forgive the loan in installments. Still leaves the place on the hook for getting you to pay back the loan if you don't start (but they probably try briefly, then hand it to a collection agency if needed).

It all depends on how desperate they are... having worked in finance departments (hospitals and otherwise) I know how creative HR and legal departments can be and your second paragraph is a good example. Anyway, if this person has already signed on the dotted line the point is moot but if they haven't they should ask.

Also nice for the physician as if it’s done as a loan taxes aren’t taken out.

Also nice for the physician as if it’s done as a loan taxes aren’t taken out.
Yes, but you'll owe the taxes when the loan is forgiven. Which if it's any year other than your first 6 months as an attending, you'll probably end up coming out behind due to being in a higher tax bracket.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a family and work for one of the lowest paying residencies out there.

Dude, all institutional GME pays the same at your level. Yes moonlighting available may change it some but PGY-3s make at least $55K these days - with a second income in the household you should be able to make this work for 6-8 weeks even if you have to load up the cards. Unless you have a gigantic family, live in a ridiculous area or live extravagantly.

I have a family and work for one of the lowest paying residencies out there. Even with two incomes we have been having trouble making ends meet for the last 3 years and now with the break in employment it becomes difficult.
no, generally unemployment requires you to be fired from your job...did you get fired form your residency?
maybe you can open up a line of credit at your bank...or go on welfare since you are not opposed to gov't assistance..

no, generally unemployment requires you to be fired from your job...did you get fired form your residency?
maybe you can open up a line of credit at your bank...or go on welfare since you are not opposed to gov't assistance..

If you don't get a signing bonus, I think the loan is the way to go. Just enough to cover expenses until you start getting paid (you'll need to know when to expect your first paycheck) so it's easy to pay off out of your earnings. If you have a signed employment contract, I think most lending institutions wouldn't bat an eye at giving you a loan. Once you start getting paid, put aside a percentage of your paycheck every month to build up an emergency fund that could get you through a couple of months (at least) if you needed it.

If you don't get a signing bonus, I think the loan is the way to go. Just enough to cover expenses until you start getting paid (you'll need to know when to expect your first paycheck) so it's easy to pay off out of your earnings. If you have a signed employment contract, I think most lending institutions wouldn't bat an eye at giving you a loan. Once you start getting paid, put aside a percentage of your paycheck every month to build up an emergency fund that could get you through a couple of months (at least) if you needed it.
Or just put everything you can on a credit card.

Something charged in July will have a statement post within a few weeks that won't be due until August at the earliest. You'll probably be paid before the charges are even due. Or even if you're not and can only make a minimum payment, one months interest even at credit card rates is likely less than the origination fees on a new loan.

These days, there's services (plastiq for example) you can even pay rent or student loans with a credit card. Only thing you usually can't is a mortgage.

And sleep at night? I hope not.

I have been on the other side of this, having to pay unemployment tax for my business when I only had only 2 or 1 employees (myself). Knowing I am paying into something that nobody who ever worked for me would ever collect.

It’s frustrating enough to know people out there there abuse it, but it’s an outright slap in the face to see someone who will be my peer and making 200k+ in a matter of weeks trying to get a piece of that pie I contributed to meant to keep people off the streets in the most dire of times.

Reactions: 3 users

Every contract I reviewed payed the bonus this way- upfront as a forgiveable loan. Even if OP couldn’t negotiate a signing bonus, then he should have at least been able to present his case and negotiate and upfront, non forgiveable loan. OP just wants free money. Well guess what, OP that money comes from somewhere. Your former employer, who passes those losses on indirectly to the current employees. When you collect, you change their rates.

Man up and drive uber if you have to.

And sleep at night? I hope not.

I have been on the other side of this, having to pay unemployment tax for my business when I only had only 2 or 1 employees (myself). Knowing I am paying into something that nobody who ever worked for me would ever collect.

It’s frustrating enough to know people out there there abuse it, but it’s an outright slap in the face to see someone who will be my peer and making 200k+ in a matter of weeks trying to get a piece of that pie I contributed to meant to keep people off the streets in the most dire of times.

Well from my perspective this is someone with a family, possibly little kids, who he has to feed. Sure they should have saved money, or planned the job timing better, but if EI is an option to support a family without adding more to your loan, does it really hurt to ask?

I think even if you did try for unemployment insurance, you probably wont get any checks from them before your six week time frame?

Well from my perspective this is someone with a family, possibly little kids, who he has to feed. Sure they should have saved money, or planned the job timing better, but if EI is an option to support a family without adding more to your loan, does it really hurt to ask?

I think even if you did try for unemployment insurance, you probably wont get any checks from them before your six week time frame?
or...he could work..it doesn't have to be as a doctor...as someone mentioned, they can do uber or lyft...or macdonalds...heck the DD here is hiring at 11 dollars an hour...plus did his spouse decide to stop working?

or...he could work..it doesn't have to be as a doctor...as someone mentioned, they can do uber or lyft...or macdonalds...heck the DD here is hiring at 11 dollars an hour...plus did his spouse decide to stop working?
I agree, certainly only if you cannot find any job that will hire you then only look into unemployment.

Better yet, arrange to start your job ASAP after graduation - like the next week - to avoid this craziness. This program wasn’t intended for physicians and they shouldn’t qualify.

Then again @Leonardsean is the same dude who stirred himself up over Chief Resident changes with what, a week to go in residency? Grain of salt here.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know that you can do this, and it sounds like there's more than one idea for how to deal with your situation.

Do what you gotta do to survive. That's all.