Can I count this as an EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SUNY Geneseo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I play violin in my schools orchestra and I get 1 credit for it. I also play outside of school, but not in any groups and I realize saying I just play an instrument for fun isnt exactly a stellar EC. Can I put down the school's orchestra as an EC? Or does that not count as an EC since its for credit? Also, I take private lessons at school for 1 credit, and I also do one recital per semester. The recital is "strongly encouraged" but not technically required by the music department. Can I count the recital as an EC? Or no since the whole violin thing is for credit? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you started playing the violin in college, learned it through for-credit courses, and play outside of class to practice, I wouldn't list it, as it would be on your transcript anyway.

If you are passionate about your music, started to play in high school or before and continued to build your skills in college by taking classes/tutoring, play for other people or record your music for other's enjoyment, and play an hour or more per day just because you love it, then you should list it under a category called Extracurriculars/Hobbies/Avocations (this being an exception to the rule about not listing pre-college activities). If you feel strongly about your music, it is an important part of you, and listing it helps adcomms get a feel for who you really are.

Oh all right thanks. I didn't know that section was an exception to the college years only rule.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only an exception if the activity continued into the college years. This applies to volunteering also.

School orchestra, for credit, is not an EC.

Playing in a community group, voluntarily outside of the school, is an EC - if you get paid, it is employment.

Playing in a student organized group, for no class credit, is an EC (say the Pep Band or something like that).

Playing for residents at a nursing home, through your own time and effort, is a wonderful EC to mention, and could even be considered clinical experience...