Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

can I do both DO and MD match?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by claudia, Apr 22, 2001.

1. claudia

claudia New Member

Hello- I'm trying to track down any info or advice, pros/cons (especially from 4th years who've just gone through this) on whether it's possible to participate in both the DO and MD match? Reason I ask, is that I want to try for a couple of DO internships, but if I don't get them, will I be "released" from the DO match so that I can match MD? And if that also fails, can I still scramble for a DO spot at that late stage? I want to be able to practice in states that require the DO internship.

Obviously, I'm a bit confused on the process and would appreciate any advice.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Yes not only is it possible, but its done every year but tons of DO students. Mind you, it is only possible if you are a DO student (I do not believe allopathic students can take part in the DO match) who has taken both the COMLEX and the USMLEs. It is particularly recommended for specialties in which there aren't many DO programs or very competitive ones.

As I understand it, the DO match is earlier than the MD match; if you should obtain a position in the DO match, you simply withdraw from the MD match. If you do not obtain a DO spot, then you are free to continue in the MD match. As far as scrambling for a DO position AFTER the MD match, I am unsure as to how many spots would be open by then, as it would be a few months later.

I'm sure my osteopathic bretheren can shed some more light on this. Have you posted this question on the Osteo forum? Most of us read all the forums, but there might be some who would miss out on it. I'll email one of my DO buddies now and ask him to take a gander at your question.

[This message has been edited by Kimberli Cox (edited April 22, 2001).]

4. RCsquared

RCsquared Junior Member

You can definitely do both matches. If you match to a DO internship, then you will automatically be withdrawn from the allopathic match. In order to do both matches, you do need to be an osteopathic student but you don't necessarily have to have taken both the COMLEX and the USMLE. I know quite a few students who went thru the allopathic match without taking the USMLE. However, if you are going for a competitive specialty, the USMLE is a good idea. You can scramble if you don't match to either the MD or DO residencies. Check out the Opportunies website. It has the current DO match results. The last time I checked, there were still some DO internships available. Good Luck.

5. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Thanks for clarifying that RCSquared - since all of the DOs I met on the Surgical interview trail had taken the USMLE I had assumed that it was required.

I shall store this info for future reference. [​IMG]

6. RCsquared

RCsquared Junior Member

I just wanted to say thanks to Kimberli for all the great info I have read in other posts. It has been fun following your adventures with the match because my husband is also planning on going the surgery route. He is finishing up his third year and getting ready to start the whole match process. He wasn't able to take the USMLE last year because of some extenuating circumstances at the time and he doesn't feel that he would do as well on it a year later. So... it looks like we will be going the DO residency route. Have you heard of any good DO surgery programs out there? Thanks again for all the great info and I am glad that I could add one little tidbit for you to store up!! [​IMG]

7. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Thanks RC...I have no knowledge about specific DO surgery programs or their quality, given my allopathic status (which renders me ineligible for the DO match).

Perhaps I can implore some of my DO friends here to provide some insight into that issue. You might also consider checking the AOA web site: http://www.am-osteo-assn.org/
    for some info.

Best of luck to you and your husband! [​IMG]