Can I do ophtho with severe myopia and astigmatism/ lots of floaters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, you've all been really helpful recently as I've had a lot of questions.

Long story short I am obgyn right now and have been looking at a lot of wet mounts and prep and I notice that i'm having trouble focusing and seeing with both eyes and also there's a lot of floaters that are getting in the way and I can't tell if its my floaters or bits on the slides. I really have to close one eye and I just feel like I can't get two to converge on the imagine without it feeling like I get it for a second and it just jumps away and my eyes spasm or something, for lack of a better way to describe it. My right and left eye are both around -11 plus minus a little bit (forgetting the exact prescription). My eye doctor ( an optometrist who is very good) tested my stereopsis and apparently isn't bad and feels I should be able to do ophtho. However I'm recently worried that this isn't going to work for me physically even though I love the field. who should I talk to go see about this? What is your guys experience as ophthalmologists on this? Also this is the first year my vision hasn't changed and I have no idea if it's going to stay the same or get worse.

Members don't see this ad.

You have pathologic myopia. You should be following with an ophthalmologist. Is the microscope adjusted to you inter pupillary distance?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

No I'm not. Well I had an ophthalmologist check me last year and it was fine. And my optometrist works with a group including ophthalmologists and has had a lot of experience with myopes so he checks for all the medical stuff too every time. Like retinal detachment and all that. And I really like him. It was his idea to be undercorrected for computer screens and that made a huge difference to my headaches and stuff and also coincided with my vision not changing. I am supposed to be wearing RGPs but they are like super hard to wear and if I miss one day my eyes hurt/get red so I don't wear them.

How do i set it to inter pupillary distance/ figure out my pupillary distance ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Either the optom can tell you the PD. Or easy way to do it is just close one eye at a time and make sure you are seeing the same image through each eye. That in both its central.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app