Myopia Physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was zoning out in a meeting the other day and I randomly thought of this question.
Im not in ophthalmology so i know nothing but im curious for patients with severe myopia are there any exercises or something more 'natural' being done or studied to try to gradually reverse it? Feels like the "solution" today is to go straight to prescribe glasses/stronger glasses or get surgery.

Its like if I have HTN and i immediately get meds, without exercising first? So im curious if theres physical therapy for myopia or stuff like that.

Members don't see this ad.

For kids, there’s low dose atropine which has been proven to reduce myopic progression

For kids, there’s low dose atropine which has been proven to reduce myopic progression
That's more commonly used for amblyopia to force a child to learn to focus with his weaker eye and retain vision in it. If a parent will comply, it is effective, and less stigmatizing for a child than wearing an eye patch.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's more commonly used for amblyopia to force a child to learn to focus with his weaker eye and retain vision in it. If a parent will comply, it is effective, and less stigmatizing for a child than wearing an eye patch.

Peds ophthalmologists I’ve worked with in the past actually rarely used atropine patching for amblyopia. You only need to patch 2-4 hours per day so doing it after school worked out pretty well.

Usually, they at least bring up low dose atropine for every kid with moderate-severe myopia.

You should search pubmed for recent literature on low dose atropine in kids to prevent myopia progression. The evidence is good.

Sure, some folks also use 1% atropine as an alternative to patching in amblyopia.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the low dose atropine mentioned above. In line with the question, there is also evidence that reducing near activities and spending more time outside can reduce myopia progression. Most myopia is caused by axial elongation (eye becomes longer) so there isn’t really anything that can be done once you have it (other than refractive surgery once it is stable).

I agree with the low dose atropine mentioned above. In line with the question, there is also evidence that reducing near activities and spending more time outside can reduce myopia progression. Most myopia is caused by axial elongation (eye becomes longer) so there isn’t really anything that can be done once you have it (other than refractive surgery once it is stable).

Arent there actually a ton of down sides (asides from not being able to see without glasses), as one ages as your eyeball becomes super long?

Arent there actually a ton of down sides (asides from not being able to see without glasses), as one ages as your eyeball becomes super long?
It actually depends on the length of the eye. With very severe myopia, you can have retinal detachments, retinal tears, myopic degeneration, and glaucoma. Most of the eyes that experience these complications have high myopia (>-6.00 diopters). Most moderate myopes won’t have any vision threatening complications. Low myopia can be useful for some in older age (1-2D) as it allows one to read without reading glasses, but on the whole pathologic myopia is increasing from the amount of time we spend indoors on computers.

It actually depends on the length of the eye. With very severe myopia, you can have retinal detachments, retinal tears, myopic degeneration, and glaucoma. Most of the eyes that experience these complications have high myopia (>-6.00 diopters). Most moderate myopes won’t have any vision threatening complications. Low myopia can be useful for some in older age (1-2D) as it allows one to read without reading glasses, but on the whole pathologic myopia is increasing from the amount of time we spend indoors on computers.

scary!. does refractive surgery in people over 6 actually reduce those complication rates comparable to mild/mod myopes?

This is a rapidly growing field in Optometry right now. Atropine, Orthokeratology, and now FDA approved multifocal soft contact lens have been shown to slow progression. Atropine isn't as popular because, well it sucks to be atropined all day.

Last edited: