Can I finish premed requirements without an extra year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Trynabeadr421

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I am about to start the second semester of my sophomore year at an Ivy. I have just decided that I want to go the premed route. I have a 4.0 GPA but have not taken any of the required prerequisite courses. I also have not done any volunteering nor research.

Is it still possible for me to complete my prereqs, volunteer, do research, and take the MCAT without taking an extra semester/year to graduate?

Thanks in advance for the help!
 
If you're starting from complete scratch (ie need full years of bio+lab, gen chem+lab, orgo+lab, phys+lab, and more optionalish semesters of biochem/math/psych/socio/english) in addition to your lack of ECs, the answer is probably not.

Different story if you have AP or IB credit for the intros.
 
It may be possible, especially if you are willing to take summer classes. Have you talked to your advisor about it?