Can I get a LOR from a professor whose class I got a B in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiing

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know one professor very well from being in a research program/ journal club which he oversaw. He was my counselor for that program.

I took his class last year (without his knowledge) and dropped 8th week (also without his knowledge). I took it again this year, and am getting a B in it. I've been going to office hours etc. this time around.

Is it possible to get a good letter from a class I'm getting a B in?

If I can get a strong letter from a class I dropped and then got a B in, is it worth it? Or will this simply draw attention to my W and B?

Members don't see this ad.

How did you take a class w/o him knowing?

And I wouldn't ask for a LOR from a teacher who I got a B from..it's not worth the risk of getting a subpar LOR

If the professor knows you well and has good stuff to say about you, then ask for a letter. Of course, make sure you ask if they will be able to write you a strong, favorable letter. If the course is a difficult one, I think most professors will a agree that a B is nothing to sneeze at. The microbiology prof at my school always told me that he writes strong "doctoral/graduate program" letters for those who received an A or B in his class, since he knows that those who get at least a B have fair amount of intelligence and a good work ethic. Besides. if you have A's elsewhere, the adcom will see it on your transcript. If you'd like the prof to know of your other grades, give them a copy of your transcript, too. Many profs who've written my letters have actually requested a transcript.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably find a different professor who you've been more successful with to write you an LOR...

I got an amazing letter from a professor whose class I got a B- in. I doubt I'd recommend taking that approach in general, but if the dude can write you an amazing letter, who cares what you got in his class?

If the professor knows you well and has good stuff to say about you, than ask for a letter. Of course, make sure you ask if they will be able to write you a strong, favorable letter.

This part is important. Regardless of the grade you achieve in a class you need to communicate enough with your letter writer that you know he/she will say great things about you.

In fact, for all of my letters I used this language. I asked for a "strong" letter. Never just "a letter". I also asked if they felt like they could write a letter that "would strengthen my application", and gave them the chance to say yes or no to that. You don't want to sound overbearing but I'm just saying you should know what you're getting.

The 'B' grade will not, or at least should not, be mentioned anywhere on the letter so it's irrelevant.

Hope you get a decent letter out of it! :luck:

This part is important. Regardless of the grade you achieve in a class you need to communicate enough with your letter writer that you know he/she will say great things about you.

In fact, for all of my letters I used this language. I asked for a "strong" letter. Never just "a letter". I also asked if they felt like they could write a letter that "would strengthen my application", and gave them the chance to say yes or no to that. You don't want to sound overbearing but I'm just saying you should know what you're getting.

The 'B' grade will not, or at least should not, be mentioned anywhere on the letter so it's irrelevant.

Hope you get a decent letter out of it! :luck:
I agree with the bolded. I did the same exact thing when I was asking for LORs. I didn't ask the "would strengthen my application" part though because I knew my letter writers pretty well and I knew they'd write me good LORs. But I made sure to ask for a strong letter nonetheless.

In my experience, having read several thousand letters per year for several years, and a few hundred each of the last couple of years, is absolutely not true.

Your grade will get mentioned. If you are ok with that, ask for a letter. If not, find someone in whose class you earned an A- or better.

Dont worry about it buddy all you have to do is express your passion and your teacher will see how much you want it.

the teachers who mention your grade are usually teachers who dont know much about you.
Ex. " I recommend jony for ___________ he earned a grade of ________. Contact me for any questions"

I know one professor very well from being in a research program/ journal club which he oversaw. He was my counselor for that program.

I took his class last year (without his knowledge) and dropped 8th week (also without his knowledge). I took it again this year, and am getting a B in it. I've been going to office hours etc. this time around.

Is it possible to get a good letter from a class I'm getting a B in?

If I can get a strong letter from a class I dropped and then got a B in, is it worth it? Or will this simply draw attention to my W and B?

I don't think it would seem like a very good idea. "Uh yah I recommend this person but he/she got a B.... soo I mostly recommend him/her except for grading purposes." Evaluate your unique situation. It's possible to still get a great LOR and maybe you should get it anyways just in case. Should you use for the AMCAS though? Probably......

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s[/YOUTUBE]

In my experience, having read several thousand letters per year for several years, and a few hundred each of the last couple of years, is absolutely not true.

Your grade will get mentioned. If you are ok with that, ask for a letter. If not, find someone in whose class you earned an A- or better.

Just saw this. Lizzy definitely has more experience! I've never known it to be a rule that the grade must be mentioned. The letters I've read from less than A- courses had no mention of a grade. I've only read hundreds though. Lol.

Better safe than sorry ;)

Unless you saved his family from a pack of beargatorwolvesauruses I would not do this. There are other options. I hope you have science classes where you got an A or this will be the least of your worries.

Med schools have access to ALL of your grades already.

If you have a potentially great LOR from a professor that gave you a B vs. a mediocre/low quality LOR from a professor that gave you an A which would you choose?

If you have alternatives and can get a great letter from an 'A' class then of course you should do that.

I got a B+ in one of my science courses but I knew the professor outside of class (conventions and lectures we'd attended). She wrote me a great letter. It was mentioned during an interview (in a positive light). No one mentioned the grade.

I would never get a LOR after receiving a C in a class. Might even be hesitant about a B-, but a solid B doesn't worry me. They already know your grade :poke:.