Can i get in with these numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman

Future dentist, I hope
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate science , according to aadsas is only 2.5. It is 3.0 on my transcripts, due to retakes. I was very immature during the beginning of college. I have a graduate gpa of 3.25 with a masters in biology. My latest DAT attempt, bio 19, gen chem 16, org 17, rc 23, quant 14 pat 14, overall acad 18, over sci 17. I am looking into post bac programs., i need any advice. I am determined to get into dental school. I am still taking classes aT THE graduate level, even though I have a masters degree, in order to increase my grduate gpa,. and combined gpas. Since my masters program is only like 30 credits, every A ii can get increases my gpa. I really cant increase my undergraduate gpa., since i have taken so many credits. Please help

Members don't see this ad.

premedman said:
My undergraduate science , according to aadsas is only 2.5. It is 3.0 on my transcripts, due to retakes. I was very immature during the beginning of college. I have a graduate gpa of 3.25 with a masters in biology. My latest DAT attempt, bio 19, gen chem 16, org 17, rc 23, quant 14 pat 14, overall acad 18, over sci 17. I am looking into post bac programs., i need any advice. I am determined to get into dental school. I am still taking classes aT THE graduate level, even though I have a masters degree, in order to increase my grduate gpa,. and combined gpas. Since my masters program is only like 30 credits, every A ii can get increases my gpa. I really cant increase my undergraduate gpa., since i have taken so many credits. Please help
I think you still have some work ahead of you. Positive trends in grades are helpful, but I'm not sure a 3.25 grad GPA, after an AADSAS undergrad of 2.5, is going to be enough. A good DAT performance could help counterbalance the grades, but scores of 14, 16, & maybe even 17 are unlikely to get the job done in your current situation. I'd take some time to really bone up for the test, and schedule another retake after you've had time to really devote to the material. Keep working, and good luck.

I think you can find some success if you RESEARCH your schools and APPLY EARLY (by early I mean the first flippin' day that AADSAS is available).

An 18/17 isn't that bad, but it certainly isn't superb or even great. I'd consider it fairly normal and nothing special. Your undergrad GPA is horrible, and the graduate GPA is simply "good".

Members don't see this ad :)
I should have around a 3.5 by the end of this summer, including the cless i am taking tis spring, and the classes i take tis summer. My main goal is to get into loma linda biomedical post bac biomedical science program. What do you think of my chances for a post bac program with my current numbers?

I don't think you need to take anymore classes! You should spend your time studying for the DAT retake. That will get you in. A 14 PAT is just not good enough. You need to take it again and get 20s across the board if you want to get in. I would rather do that than take a bunch of nonsense classes anyways.

You should also change your screen name to predentman, just to cover all your bases.

I'm not sure what you can do to help yourself out. It is going to be a long shot no matter what you do. I mean a very very long shot. Honestly I don't think you have a prayer, but hey, anything is possible.

Haven't you already taken the DAT five times? Now six..... why not just try for lucky seven????? After all test anxiety should have gone out the window like three DATs ago. You're a seasoned veteran, and you should know the test by heart.

Good Luck.

aphistis said:
I think you still have some work ahead of you. Positive trends in grades are helpful, but I'm not sure a 3.25 grad GPA, after an AADSAS undergrad of 2.5, is going to be enough. A good DAT performance could help counterbalance the grades, but scores of 14, 16, & maybe even 17 are unlikely to get the job done in your current situation. I'd take some time to really bone up for the test, and schedule another retake after you've had time to really devote to the material. Keep working, and good luck.

This advice is spot on, however if you have taken the DAT 5 times :eek: and are still scoring low you may have dug yourself a hole too deep to climb out of.

premedman said:

You will be fine if you keep on improving your stats and believe in yourself.