Can I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bxs023100

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My stats are as follows:
GPA: 3.2
science GPA: 3.0
DAT: 17 AA and 18 PAT

I am retaking the DAT this July.
I was wondering what you guys think my chances are of getting in.

I do have the Dean of Admissions at the UT Dental Branch in Houston writing a letter of recommendation for me, but I don't think that will guarantee an admission ( i wish it would)

Any input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll have troubles, but you're on the right track with re-taking the DAT. Do well and you might get a couple interviews.

Unless you're a minority you'll have a tough time. But either way I would definitely retake the DAT, 17AA is not good these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
As everybody else has said, your stats on paper are low. If you have other areas of your application that are strong then you'll be a better applicant than the stats show.

Is there something else your not telling us? Like your state of residence? You said, the dean of UT...Im guessing you're from texas? They have 3 dental schools! so i'd say your set!

ya i live in texas.
i have been pretty active througout college and did the SMDEP (summer program ) at Houston. I also shadowed a dentist.
do those count for anything?

It doesnt make sense why the Dean of Admissions will write you a recommendation letter for dental school but not accept you. How many times have you applied already? The summer program and shadowing definately helps but to what degree, I would say not much. From my experience, Texas schools ONLY CARE ABOUT NUMBERS! I'm a texas resident, applied 3 times and have not been able to get into a Texas school. I have similar stats: 3.1 gpa & sci, but DAT 20AA 21TS. Fortunately for me, there is a god and I got in out-of-state. So pretty much you need to pick up your DAT score but also apply to 7-15 schools out-of-state to have a shot.

I would also look at your personal statement. Sometimes that plays an important role, too, and much more than one can think...after all, I've seen someone with a 2.9 GPA get in USC, so you never know....oh yea, almost forgot. Think carefully about that LOR from the dean. I was going to get one from the president of the university, but was talked out of it by some of the faculty. Apparently, the admissions board doesn't like to be told who to take by their bosses.

The dean's letter can help a lot in your state school however it is really up to the committee, the interviewer (if you get invited) and the director of admissions. Good luck to you I think you have a good chance!