Can I get into medical school with an unfinished MPH by one class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rak19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I’m completing an mph during my 2 gap years, but my mph advisor is telling me that there is one final class (capstone) I need to take that I cannot fit in those two years. Is it possible I can finish that degree after med school and residency or even not finish it at all? Or will I need to have completed the degree fully before entering medical school? In my opinion I believe I’m doing this degree to gain more knowledge but to also prove that I can get a good gpa because my undergrad gpa is not super competitive, so having the degree upon entering isn’t entirely important? Any input is very appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Master's degrees don't matter much for MD admissions; not finishing the degree won't keep you out of medical school, but finishing it will make you look a tiny bit better than not. It would have been better if you'd done a postbacc of some sort but that's all water under the bridge now.

OP you should try tagging some of the ADCOMS and see what they say. A MPH will not help you with your GPA for MD schools. It might help for DO schools. MS/MA in general don’t help for MD schools. You are expected to do well in grad school. @BlackMathMajor is right about you being better off if you had done a DIY post bacc of hard sciences.
As to not completing it, you are probably better served in getting advice from the ADCOMS.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP you should try tagging some of the ADCOMS and see what they say. A MPH will not help you with your GPA for MD schools. It might help for DO schools. MS/MA in general don’t help for MD schools. You are expected to do well in grad school. @BlackMathMajor is right about you being better off if you had done a DIY post bacc of hard sciences.
As to not completing it, you are probably better served in getting advice from the ADCOMS.
Not true in the slightest, I know many people that killed their grad gpa and had a not good undergrad gpa and got in. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1 user
Master's degrees don't matter much for MD admissions; not finishing the degree won't keep you out of medical school, but finishing it will make you look a tiny bit better than not. It would have been better if you'd done a postbacc of some sort but that's all water under the bridge now.
So you're saying a masters program will help me! Thank you!!

Hmm. Let's put it this way: for MD schools, that completed MPH means a tiny bit. It's hard to quantify it, but the degree alone will grant you maybe a couple hundredths of a point worth of GPA improvement: relatively insignificant. I don't know what it would mean if you dropped out with one semester to go, but I'm not sure it would matter a ton either way. SMPs and DIY postbaccs do help for MD school. Also, DO schools will look at your MPH and consider it significant.

Not true in the slightest, I know many people that killed their grad gpa and had a not good undergrad gpa and got in. Thanks for your input!

What’s not true in the slightest? I think I said about the same as @BlackMathMajor and you were okay with what he said. Anyway did you tag any of the ADCOMS about not finishing one class towards your degree?

Status
Not open for further replies.