Can I get into NYU or Touro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnybiy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in undergrad and my overall gpa is 3.5 while my science gpa is 2.75

I'm taking the DAT this Friday and think I have a chance to score 23+

LOR and EC's I would say are pretty solid (700+ shadowing hours, shadowed a dentist/professor at Touro)

The 2.75 science gpa will be a huge setback, I imagine. So I'm wondering what would be the best course of action to take in order to get into Touro or NYU? Should I retake some courses at my undergrad this summer (which could bring up my science gpa to a 2.925) or look into postbac or masters programs or just try to score above 25 on the DAT?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you score well, I’d guess you’d still need to do a masters and maintain a near 4.0 gpa to offset your sgpa

A high DAT will definitely help to make up for a lower gpa. However, many many schools (not positive about these two specifically though) have both overall gpa and science gpa cutoffs of 3.0. For this reason, I would probably look into a post bacc or a masters to get your science gpa up to a 3.0.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you should ask this question after taking your DAT this Friday. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Retaking courses will not erase your old grades from the AADSAS GPA calculation. AADSAS does not do grade replacement so all grades for any course will be counted.

I would also reach out to Touro’s admissions department. I’ve found them to be very responsive to questions.

Assuming you score well, I’d guess you’d still need to do a masters and maintain a near 4.0 gpa to offset your sgpa
Would you recommend a "special pre-dental masters" or any bio/chemistry masters will suffice as long as I have good grades?

A high DAT will definitely help to make up for a lower gpa. However, many many schools (not positive about these two specifically though) have both overall gpa and science gpa cutoffs of 3.0. For this reason, I would probably look into a post bacc or a masters to get your science gpa up to a 3.0.
Would you receommend a post bacc or masters for my scenario where I took all of my prereq's already?

The question is not can you, but the question is should you.

If someone else is paying for it, then I would aim for those schools. Otherwise I would not advise it.

best of luck on Friday!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There are plenty of examples of high DAT not compensating for lower GPA. The stats are up on the ADEA website for 2019 and the percent of students that entered with a sGPA <2.75 is 2.3%. I assume these are students with higher DATs, but even if it weren't, it still means that only 2.3% got in. Upgrade that to a <3.0 sGPA and your chances are only 9.2%. Sure, if your stats are low, go kill the DAT, but it's not the only thing you need to do.

Reactions: 1 user
There are plenty of examples of high DAT not compensating for lower GPA. The stats are up on the ADEA website for 2019 and the percent of students that entered with a sGPA <2.75 is 2.3%. I assume these are students with higher DATs, but even if it weren't, it still means that only 2.3% got in. Upgrade that to a <3.0 sGPA and your chances are only 9.2%. Sure, if your stats are low, go kill the DAT, but it's not the only thing you need to do.
Well obviously a higher GPA is always going to give you a better chance of getting in. But in the OP’s situation I did recommended a masters, and they could also go get some research experience or something in a gap year. But at this point it’s not like they can time travel back 3 years and make sure their gpa doesn’t end up at a 2.75.

Would you receommend a post bacc or masters for my scenario where I took all of my prereq's already?
I didn’t do either so I’m probably not the best person to to tell you that. But from what I’ve heard a masters may be better for you since it’s not like you just need a few classes to raise you to a 3.0. You are probably looking at at a years worth of classes doing very well to get your sgpa to a more respectable place.