Can I get into PT schools with this GPA/GREs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshuaDannon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, here are my stats:

Cumulative GPA: 3.45 (slightly low-- I majored in biochemistry and took some upper level chem courses and got C's-- they aren't required at all for PT but they definitely drag my GPA down a bit. if you don't count these, my cumulative is prob more like 3.6). my pre-req GPA is probably around 3.6-3.7.

GRE scores: quant: 160, verbal 158, AWA is a 5.0

300 hours volunteer, mixture of inpatient and outpatient

I could have done better on the GREs, too. I am wondering if I should retake them-- I feel like I could have scored 5 points higher. I went in on literally 3 hours of sleep-- not my choice-- had some crazy circumstances the night before that I couldn't get around-- dog got hit by a car and ended up being at the vet until nearly 3 AM!!!

Anyways, are those pretty competitive? And should I retake the GREs if I think I can get 160-163 on quant/verbal or are my scores good enough? I notice some of the programs I am looking at have average GRE scores around 155 each, which is slightly lower than what mine already are.

Thanks a lot for any insight

Josh

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry bro, you have absolutely no chance

The schools will just throw your application in the trash unless you at least a 4.0, 340 GRE and 2,000 volunteer hours

Your best best is to find yourself a pimp and just start selling your body and just forget about PT school. Either that or become a street pharmacist, if you know what I mean.

Yea is this guy serious

Yes, I am being totally serious-- this is my first go at PT school. I am 30 years old and am changing careers. I wasn't sure if a 3.4ish cumulative was good enough-- I know this is a competitive field!

Also, I am looking at getting into a school where the average GPA is ~ 3.6 and the average GRE scores are about 310 combined. Given that my GRE scores are slightly higher than average, but my GPA is slightly lower than average (but again, I took upper level chem classes that killed my GPA a bit-- hopefully they'll take that into consideration), I have my doubts about being accepted. There are only two schools I want to go to, mostly due to location-- I don't want to leave my home state.

Thanks again for any imput on this-- greatly, greatly appreciated.

Josh

Sorry bro, you have absolutely no chance

The schools will just throw your application in the trash unless you at least a 4.0 and 340 GRE and 2,000 volunteer hours

Your best best is to find yourself a pimp and just start selling your body and just forget about PT school

Also, HOW competitive do my stats look? I realize I can get in SOMEWHERE, but exactly how GOOD do my particular stats look? Would you categorize them as HIGHLY competitive or "you definitely have a shot"-type of competitive?

Yes, I am being totally serious-- this is my first go at PT school. I am 30 years old and am changing careers. I wasn't sure if a 3.4ish cumulative was good enough-- I know this is a competitive field!

Also, I am looking at getting into a school where the average GPA is ~ 3.6 and the average GRE scores are about 310 combined. Given that my GRE scores are slightly higher than average, but my GPA is slightly lower than average (but again, I took upper level chem classes that killed my GPA a bit-- hopefully they'll take that into consideration), I have my doubts about being accepted. There are only two schools I want to go to, mostly due to location-- I don't want to leave my home state.

Thanks again for any imput on this-- greatly, greatly appreciated.

Josh

Also, HOW competitive do my stats look? I realize I can get in SOMEWHERE, but exactly how GOOD do my particular stats look? Would you categorize them as HIGHLY competitive or "you definitely have a shot"-type of competitive?

I'm not sure if you're fishing for complements or if you're being sincere, so I'll give you the benefit of doubt.

Look at the stats in the sticky thread. You're above a goo 80% of people who got accepted last cycle. I would classify you as VERY competitive.

You are worrying way too much. The average GPA for PT school is 3.4-3.5. You have plenty of volunteer hour and your GRE is very good. Do not retake it.

Just make sure you have good quality letters of recommendation and your personal statement reflects why you're doing PT at 30 years old. Schools love it when you can actually give real reasons for making drastic life changes like this, so you're ahead again.

One of the MD forums used to have a sticky post about good and bad letters of recommendation. Make sure they are done by therapists who actually know you and actually care. Don't let someone write a half assed letter and only say a bunch of generic catch-all things about you. It needs to be personal for it have actually have meaning. If you can just change the name on the letter and still apply it to just about anyone, then it's a bad letter.

You're in good shape. Don't stress about it.

You are worrying way too much. The average GPA for PT school is 3.4-3.5. You have plenty of volunteer hour and your GRE is very good. Do not retake it.

Just make sure you have good quality letters of recommendation and your personal statement reflects why you're doing PT at 30 years old. Schools love it when you can actually give real reasons for making drastic life changes like this, so you're ahead again.

One of the MD forums used to have a sticky post about good and bad letters of recommendation. Make sure they are done by therapists who actually know you and actually care. Don't let someone write a half assed letter and only say a bunch of generic catch-all things about you. It needs to be personal for it have actually have meaning. If you can just change the name on the letter and still apply it to just about anyone, then it's a bad letter.

You're in good shape. Don't stress about it.

Thank you VERY much for the honest, candid answer-- I really appreciate it. I realize I have the numbers to get in "somewhere" I am just trying to gauge where I stand with everyone. I REALLY want to go to the University of Washington but I know it is tough to get in there. I checked their program stats and I am slightly above in GRE score and about on par with GPA. I think I have some good material for an interview.

I really appreciate the comments re letters of rec-- will definitely put some thought into who I dole those out to.

Thank you, Myosin

Thank you VERY much for the honest, candid answer-- I really appreciate it. I realize I have the numbers to get in "somewhere" I am just trying to gauge where I stand with everyone. I REALLY want to go to the University of Washington but I know it is tough to get in there. I checked their program stats and I am slightly above in GRE score and about on par with GPA. I think I have some good material for an interview.

I really appreciate the comments re letters of rec-- will definitely put some thought into who I dole those out to.

Thank you, Myosin

PT school isn't like MD/DO schools. PT programs are pretty much identical to each other and the quality doesn't really change. Yes, some are objectively better than others, but as long as a school has a pass rate in the mid to high 90's, it doesn't matter what else they have. Reputation also means nothing for PT.

The only real difference between schools is the location. Unless you're planning to live there after you graduate, the scenery doesn't mean anything to me personally, but you may feel differently.

Just make sure you realize what you're getting into with the student loan debt vs PT salary.

I hope you get accepted to your first choice, but try not to get hung up on one specific school for reasons not related to cost.

To answer your question. Yea you can get into PT schools with those stats, taking into consideration that you are going to apply to schools who accepts applicants with a lower stats than you. As far as Univeristy of Washington, your stats as mentioned above..is average. It's nothing crazy. Just like what you were doing, do your own research for different schools and see where you fall in the pool of applicants. It is all relative, it just depends where you apply.

To answer your question. Yea you can get into PT schools with those stats, taking into consideration that you are going to apply to schools who accepts applicants with a lower stats than you. As far as Univeristy of Washington, your stats as mentioned above..is average. It's nothing crazy. Just like what you were doing, do your own research for different schools and see where you fall in the pool of applicants. It is all relative, it just depends where you apply.

Thanks, I appreciate that-- that is what I wanted to hear-- trying to gauge how much of a shot I have at UW.

Anyways, thank you so much for all of your kind replies-- you have all been very encouraging and helpful!!!

A simple rule in applying to PT school: >3.5 overall GPA, >3.5 pre-req GPA, and >300 (or 1150 on old version), and observation hours in three settings for a total of 100 is usually what you need to get accepted somewhere. Don't apply to schools like USF, UPitt, or Washington University.

Keep costs low. If you go to a private school, only go because the public schools rejected you, or because the private school is in the city or state where you want to practice when you graduate.

Kevin