Can I get into CSUN with a low gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calli4591

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I finished my undergrad in 2020 but my cumulative gpa is very low, even taking prereq courses my cum gpa will probably be under 3.0.

I would love to get some insight from those accepted into the DPT program at CSUN to see if I should continue taking prereq courses and apply to CSUN to see if I could get in in a few years. I didn’t care for my grades during my undergrad as I was pursuing a diff career path, now I’m regretting I didn’t take my education more seriously.

I am confident in my prereq gpa, gre scores, observation hours and LORs Bc I’ve made friends with several PTs and have accumulated lots of observation and aide hours. My cumulative gpa is the only thing holding me back and is something I can not change even if I were to get a 4.0 on my prereq courses.

On CSUN’s prereq page, it states “if an applicant has below a 3.0 undergrad gpa they must score a 50th percentile on either the verbal or the quantitative portion of the GRE.”

Does that mean students with gpa lower than 3.0 could apply and have a chance to get in if their other stats (prereq gpa, gre scores, observation hours and LORs) are high?

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!! If those accepted could share their stats would be great!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Technically yea, you can get in with that, they'll consider your application with a high enough GRE. However, I wouldn't say your chances are really high either. Your application will be up against people that score high on the GRE and have good GPAs.

CSUN is notoriously a "by the numbers" school. I don't want to give you high hopes only to be disappointed. It's not impossible, but you are setting yourself up for a difficult path. If there are other schools you would be willing to go to, I would say apply to 10+ schools around the nation. CSU Fresno is the easiest CSU to get into, but still not a great chance with under 3.3 cGPA.

I'm sorry to not be bringing you great news, I was extremely nervous about my chances of getting into CSUN personally. For reference, I just got accepted to CSUN with a 3.46 cGPA and a 4.0 pGPA. I had great LoR, reasonable observation hours, and good previous experience.

Gonna agree with calcaneus there. Have you talked to the counselors at CSUN? When I went to one of their info sessions, the person running it did highly encourage to apply to more than just CSUN because she admitted to it being a very "numbers" oriented application process.

If you're willing to pay more, I'd highly encourage you to apply to more schools, especially ones that look at your last 60 units (I know Samuel Merritt does that, sure more schools do). The CSUs are pretty strict on their 3.0 minimum unfortunately. Attending info sessions and asking schools questions there will be a good way to decide whether or not to apply there

For reference, I applied to CSUN and never got a word back this cycle. I have a 3.4 cgpa, 3.3 prereq, 160/161/4.5 GRE. I did get into CSULB off the waitlist and into CSUF right after interviewing. I probably should've contacted CSUN but I prefer long beach so I didn't

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I finished my undergrad in 2020 but my cumulative gpa is very low, even taking prereq courses my cum gpa will probably be under 3.0.

I would love to get some insight from those accepted into the DPT program at CSUN to see if I should continue taking prereq courses and apply to CSUN to see if I could get in in a few years. I didn’t care for my grades during my undergrad as I was pursuing a diff career path, now I’m regretting I didn’t take my education more seriously.

I am confident in my prereq gpa, gre scores, observation hours and LORs Bc I’ve made friends with several PTs and have accumulated lots of observation and aide hours. My cumulative gpa is the only thing holding me back and is something I can not change even if I were to get a 4.0 on my prereq courses.

On CSUN’s prereq page, it states “if an applicant has below a 3.0 undergrad gpa they must score a 50th percentile on either the verbal or the quantitative portion of the GRE.”

Does that mean students with gpa lower than 3.0 could apply and have a chance to get in if their other stats (prereq gpa, gre scores, observation hours and LORs) are high?

Any insight or advice would be much appreciated!! If those accepted could share their stats would be great!

Thank you!
NO, they will not accept you. But you can apply. I tried that because of the exact statement you quoted above.
If you rationally look at it: they have more than 1000 applicants and they accept less than 40. They are a "cheap" state school which means that accepted students will more likely to stay with CSUN. There definitely will be plenty of applicants who have met their minimal requirements and there is no need for CSUN to "consider" people like you and me. They just probably want to collect extra money from application fees from hopeful people like you and me and then deny you.
My stats were:
Cumulative GPA 3.0-3.1
Pre-reqs GPA: 3.7
GRE: Math low 150s, Verbal < 140.