Can I get into Vanderbilt Audiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoosiers628

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I searched the threads for this topic and didn't find much (i'm guessing because it's a little specific) so I'm going to post a new thread about it.

With Vanderbilt being the current #1 program in Audiology, is it incredibly difficult to get into?
Here's some details about me and my education:

I go to Indiana University Bloomington and my cumulative GPA is a 3.87.
I have yet to take the GRE, but I'm studying like crazy for it, so I think I can manage at least a 160 or 165 on the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections.
I'm a boy and I'm a racial minority, though I'm not sure how that'll factor in.

Do I stand a shot in the admissions process?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I got in. No financial aid offer, but I was accepted. I don't know exactly what they're looking for, but here are my numbers.

-University of Chicago, bio major, cumulative GPA 3.65
-GRE 168V/169Q/4.5 Writing

There's also recs and the essay, so it's not all about the numbers. Good luck!

Are you set on Vanderbilt just because it is #1 or do you like the program as a whole? If you read up on how the ranking are determined you will see they might not mean what you think. Do you have a specialty in mind, or a population? If so, you should look at who is the best for that particular interest. A well known program will give you great benefits in the 4th year and later in getting a job, so I'm not saying go sub-20 or anything but if a #3 has what you want it might be a better financial choice. I will second what @AnnieEars says that it's not all about the numbers. I was accepted into top programs and my GPA was 3.73, so competitive but not perfect. Some schools look more favorably on GPA, some on GRE so if you do well on the GRE you should have both of those covered. Make sure you get great letters and try to visit the school if you can. It always helps put a face to the name, and if you had positive interactions with faculty they will more likely see you as a good fit for their program even if you "numbers" aren't on par with their other top applicants. And yes, being male might help but not as much as in SLP programs where you hardly see any.