Can I get some advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaGus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, let me say hello to everyone. I am new to SDN.

I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who will help me. Here's my situation:

I graduated in 2005 from a good private school with a degree in biology and french. My gpa there was a 3.2, which is the average undergrad GPA for the college. My science GPA was about the same, 3.2. Since graduation, I have taken about 20 hours of science courses at my state school, and have received A's in every class but Physics B (C+).

As a Kentucky resident, I have applied twice to Auburn. The first year I got rejected, and during post interviews, I was told that I should take more science courses (which I have done) and get more small animal experience (I have since worked nearly full-time at a small animal clinic, 1 yr experience). It seemed like, if I did those things, I would get in for sure. Except this year I got another rejection, not even on the alternate list.

Now I am at a bit of a crossroads. Auburn will give me another post-interview, but not until late June (at which time, my options are limited: too late for summer classes, my lease will have to be renewed if I am to stay in KY). So, here is what I am thinking.

1) My boyfriend is a Missouri resident. He has been accepted and may go to Mizzou med school. If I could get Missouri residency, my options open up a bit. For instance, they have a PreVet scholars program, which I am going to inquire about. Basically, it allows MU freshman the chance to apply for guaranteed acceptance into vet school. I am going to ask this: if I get Missouri residency, enroll at MU and take a few pre-req classes, could I be admitted to the pre-vet scholars program? Even if not, would Missouri residency make it easier than it currently is to go to Auburn?

2) I think I could do well on the MCAT. Would taking the MCAT make me any more competitive? Or the VCAT, if it is still offered? I scored around a 1240 on the GRE. Should I retake this?

3) I am a bit sick of Kentucky's vet program. 34 spots at Auburn and 2-4 at Tuskegee makes it really tough to get in. I am considering moving to either Missouri or Indiana to get in-state status at another school. I don't mind if it takes me another year to gain residency, I just want to get into vet school. Any advice on doing this? Any states where this is easiest to do?

4) I would like to avoid going to the Caribbean.

So, what do you all think? I am getting a bit desperate here.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First off, let me say hello to everyone. I am new to SDN.

I was hoping to get some advice from anyone who will help me. Here's my situation:

I graduated in 2005 from a good private school with a degree in biology and french. My gpa there was a 3.2, which is the average undergrad GPA for the college. My science GPA was about the same, 3.2. Since graduation, I have taken about 20 hours of science courses at my state school, and have received A's in every class but Physics B (C+).

As a Kentucky resident, I have applied twice to Auburn. The first year I got rejected, and during post interviews, I was told that I should take more science courses (which I have done) and get more small animal experience (I have since worked nearly full-time at a small animal clinic, 1 yr experience). It seemed like, if I did those things, I would get in for sure. Except this year I got another rejection, not even on the alternate list.

Now I am at a bit of a crossroads. Auburn will give me another post-interview, but not until late June (at which time, my options are limited: too late for summer classes, my lease will have to be renewed if I am to stay in KY). So, here is what I am thinking.

1) My boyfriend is a Missouri resident. He has been accepted and may go to Mizzou med school. If I could get Missouri residency, my options open up a bit. For instance, they have a PreVet scholars program, which I am going to inquire about. Basically, it allows MU freshman the chance to apply for guaranteed acceptance into vet school. I am going to ask this: if I get Missouri residency, enroll at MU and take a few pre-req classes, could I be admitted to the pre-vet scholars program? Even if not, would Missouri residency make it easier than it currently is to go to Auburn?

2) I think I could do well on the MCAT. Would taking the MCAT make me any more competitive? Or the VCAT, if it is still offered? I scored around a 1240 on the GRE. Should I retake this?

3) I am a bit sick of Kentucky's vet program. 34 spots at Auburn and 2-4 at Tuskegee makes it really tough to get in. I am considering moving to either Missouri or Indiana to get in-state status at another school. I don't mind if it takes me another year to gain residency, I just want to get into vet school. Any advice on doing this? Any states where this is easiest to do?

So, what do you all think? I am getting a bit desperate here.

Thanks
Do not take MCAT. The percentage scores for the very few schools that accept the MCAT are actually higher for accepted applicants than the GRE percentiles. You may want to consider applying as an out of state applicant to the more out of state friendly schools. If you are sure you can higher your GRE scores, go ahead and take them again (I hate telling people to do this because I know a few people that actually scored lower on retakes, so if you decide to do it make sure you are well preparred.):luck:

I agree with the advice on not taking the MCAT, and no the VCAT is no longer offered. I don't think its a bad idea to go to a state and gain residency in order to up your chances of being accepted. I would contact some schools that accept a lot of out of staters and ask them if you can go over your credentials and ask them about your chances. I imagine that if you keep increasing your depth and breadth of experience and apply broadly you'll get in.

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, I would assume that the prevet scholars program is VERY difficult to get into. Also, it sounds like you have to be a full-time student and a freshman at MU. I don't think they'd let you do it by taking a few classes and then sliding you into the vet program, because that would defeat the purpose of it. You could always ask, but either way, it's going to be more competitive to get into than the regular vet program.

I know it seems like it would, but the MCAT doesn't give you an advantage. The VCAT was discontinued in 2003, so that's out too. A 1240 is decent, but if you're trying to compensate for a somewhat low GPA, you might try to break 1400. It depends on you, though, and how you do on standardized tests.

Any state with a vet school is generally going to be a whole lot easier than any state without a vet school. Missouri sounds like a good option. So do Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana...schools where they take a lot of in-staters. You should look at admissions stats online to see. But also, make sure it's someplace you're willing to spend a year or two, because it would suck to move there and not get in.

Most people feel this way, but people I know that go to school out there love it. I'm actually kind of jealous of their beautiful weather and beaches. You could also apply to European schools - I think a few of them are more lenient with US students, like Glasgow maybe? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry to hear about your lack of love from AU.
Be sure to crunch the numbers before you start working on getting residency in MO. It seems to be a toss up:

Auburn
# kentucky apps 116
# kentucky apps accepted 34
avg class GPA 3.44

MO
# mo apps 116
#mo apps accepted 58
avg class GPA 3.68

Statistically a greater number of MO applicants get into MO but their class GPA is a bit higher than AU...which wouldn't be good for you.

Regardless of what you decide - I would (as Cyrille said) bring up that GRE - unless you've tried several times already. Your score is great (indeed - it is >100 points over AU's class average) but to conteract that GPA you might want to boost it a little. If your math score isn't an 800 - that should really be doable if you put in enough study time. The verbal is more hit or miss (at least for me).

I would also try to get some unique experience under your belt. AU seems acutely aware of the large animal vet shortage - so having some experience that shows your are open to the idea would be good, or some research experience (but, I'm biased in that department).

If you haven't already - I've heard that AU usually suggests students take all of the upper level "ologies" (virology, cell bio, histo, etc)... Also be sure your personal statement and interview skills aren't holding you back.

Good Luck.

Be sure to look into what's required for residency. For example, in North Carolina you have to live there for a full year before going to school AT ALL to be a resident. Other states like Ohio base it on where your money is coming from. Just make sure to have all your "i"s dotted and "t"s crossed. Good luck!

There's nothing wrong with going to the caribbean. I know a girl who graduated from Ross and now she's working at an emergency animal clinic with a 115,000 salary. That's pretty hard to beat as a new vet graduate.

I applied to Texas A&M twice and got rejected. I have a good GPA and GRE, but it wasn't competitive enough.

I start St. Matthew's University in May. It's in Grand Cayman. It's a very safe island.....it's not like the other areas in the caribbean.

Always remember that there's never a dead end in pursuing a successful career in this profession. Keep your mind open.

This web site and Kathy should be able to answer any questions that you have about MU. As far as I know the VCAT is no longer offered, and the MCAT is only accepted by a limited number of schools. I would just stick with the GRE, because the MCAT is a pain, but I took it last year when it was still the 8 hour test:scared: . It was a very long day. Hope this helps!

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/prospective.htm
Kathy Seay
Admissions Advisor
W-203 Veterinary Medicine
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: (573) 884-6435
Fax: (573) 884-5044