Can I Get Your Thoughts on Chemistry Passage Application Questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clairephillips

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am a nontraditional student trying to take the MCAT after having some of my prereqs 15 years ago. I'm learning slowly, but I really do feel like I'm understanding what I'm covering. I watch Chad's videos for each subject and require myself to score 100% on his quizzes before even moving on to reading the chapter in TPRH. While reading the question, I make sure I can do each example question. Doing that, I really have a good understanding of what's going on in the content. I then do 1/3 of the TPRH Science Workbook discretes and passages to practice. In every other subject, I am finding the passages and discretes extraordinarily easy and everything clicks. Last night, however, I did the section corresponding to the first chapter of chemistry and only got 75% correct. I can see where a lot of my problems were connected to not reading the entire paragraph with passage-based questions, or not considering the issue deeply enough. I wouldn't say that I had much trouble with the surface-level content stuff. Has this section been tough for anyone else? Are there things I can do to improve on this type of question? What have other people found helpful for approaching these questions? Can I really improve on this type of question or am I doomed to be blasted into MCAT oblivion?