Can I go to med school with a GED?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Courtneyk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been asked before and many replies said yes, but I’m wondering what my best option is. I fell off my path in high school. I’ve always been the student that got upset over B’s and learnt things easy without even trying. But my junior year took a turn and I missed a lot of school, didn’t pass all my classes. My senior year was even worse. I’m finally finding myself and one of my childhood dreams was always to become a doctor. I’m smart, and I know I’m capable. But where I get lost is how to go about it. Is taking the GED test the best option? I’m 18, almost 19. 2017 would’ve been my graduate year. Should I find a program to get my diploma? I’ve also read that some community colleges accept students without having graduated, is it possible to start there without anything? Someone had told another woman to get her GED, go to CC, and then transfer to a uni from there to pursue med school. Should I get on that path? Another thing that concerns me is I only have one year of a language and didn’t take Algebra 2, does the GED count for those when applying to a uni or are those classes I would take at CC? Sorry for all the questions, I just started trying to find information on this. I’m pretty ashamed of where I am now and just want to get back on track. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Med school doesn't care about your high school go get your GED and do well in college that's all that matters keep your head up and keep your eyes on prize

If you're worried about getting into college just take a accuplacer at a community college and go from there you will be fine. I suggest you calling up your local community college and speak to an advisor though they could probably assist you a lot more in person rather than reading on a forum.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get your GED. Most universities require it regardless of whether you have an associate's degree. I went GED>CC>uni>med school, it's totally possible. Just keep your grades up, don't overload yourself, work hard, and stay focused.

Reactions: 14 users
Get your GED. Most universities require it regardless of whether you have an associate's degree. I went GED>CC>uni>med school, it's totally possible. Just keep your grades up, don't overload yourself, work hard, and stay focused.

Even if you do crap at college, it's not the end of it. There's plenty of people who were lucky enough to have second chances at college, even. Persist, have grit. You can do it!

Reactions: 2 users
Get your GED if needed. Some community colleges won't even require that. Some only require that you be 18. Look online to see what yours requires.

Either way, starting at a CC will probably be your best path. Do not overwhelm yourself by trying to take on too much the first semester, particularly if you have other demands: job, family, whatever.

Start slow with maybe psych, history, and bio. If you do very well, then the following semester, you may feel ready to take on a full semester's load, again, depending on your outside demands.

One thing that is just common sense is to balance your courseload each semester (mixing harder courses with lighter courses). Try to lighten your work load during particularly challenging semesters (maybe the orgo semesters).

Get your GED; I remember having just graduated with a BS in biology and getting hassled by the phlebotomy program I took for my high school diploma, even with a university diploma in hand. You'll need it anyway, and it won't affect you for medical school. If anything it could be part of your narrative when explaining how you got to the point of applying and what your motivations were.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I know this has been asked before and many replies said yes, but I’m wondering what my best option is. I fell off my path in high school. I’ve always been the student that got upset over B’s and learnt things easy without even trying. But my junior year took a turn and I missed a lot of school, didn’t pass all my classes. My senior year was even worse. I’m finally finding myself and one of my childhood dreams was always to become a doctor. I’m smart, and I know I’m capable. But where I get lost is how to go about it. Is taking the GED test the best option? I’m 18, almost 19. 2017 would’ve been my graduate year. Should I find a program to get my diploma? I’ve also read that some community colleges accept students without having graduated, is it possible to start there without anything? Someone had told another woman to get her GED, go to CC, and then transfer to a uni from there to pursue med school. Should I get on that path? Another thing that concerns me is I only have one year of a language and didn’t take Algebra 2, does the GED count for those when applying to a uni or are those classes I would take at CC? Sorry for all the questions, I just started trying to find information on this. I’m pretty ashamed of where I am now and just want to get back on track. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to reply.

Be grateful your academic hiccup occurred while your grades don't count for medical school admissions. Assuming you do well in college and on the MCAT, the GED would probably be a plus on your app because it makes you different and shows you've overcome a setback.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to agree with Jack here. The thing about transferring into a 4 year uni is that they require you to present a HS diploma or something of equivalent.

However, let me stop you from getting a GED or HiSET without looking at this.

If you are going to attend a community college and 4-year uni in the same state, I recommend you to get a state HS Proficiency/Equivalency test.
For example in California: California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE)

So, here is the thing:
If you pass your state's HS proficiency/equivalency exam, you will be considered a state resident and you will receive a resident tuition. They won't even look further. However, this isn't the case with your GED. Proving you are a state resident can be tricky, no matter how long you've lived in that state. The school might say that you are a non-resident even if you lived there for more than 10 years.

That was my case (perhaps I didn't answer the questionnaire correctly).
h1FNNQK.png

Not sure how I've received a non-resident status, but my state uni. has a program called AB540, which grants you a resident status if you have a diploma from a California HS or if you have California HS Proficiency Exam done.
Plus, for me, it was cheaper than GED!

So look out for stuff like this. I panicked when they said I was a non-resident. I even looked into ROTC (lol). But, thank god I had CHSPE done!

Last edited:
I found a program at my local community college that allows me to earn a real high school diploma. It’s the GED test I believe, but they will hand me a state diploma instead of whatever a GED is. Thanks for all the replies!

Knew somebody who got into Cornell after getting a GED their technically freshman year of HS. It didn’t turn out so well, but that’s for a different story.

Obtain your GED --> Go to Community College & do well --> Transfer to University & do well --> Apply for medical school

I believe this would be a very interesting story to tell adcoms when you apply. Good luck to you.

Obtain your GED --> Go to Community College & do well --> Transfer to University & do well --> Apply for medical school

I believe this would be a very interesting story to tell adcoms when you apply. Good luck to you.
Thanks so much!

Knew somebody who got into Cornell after getting a GED their technically freshman year of HS. It didn’t turn out so well, but that’s for a different story.

Wait, wouldn't that be the high school proficiency exam (HSPE)? HSPE is an early exit exam, you take it before you graduate. GED is if you dropped out, but decided to finish your diploma.

Wait, wouldn't that be the high school proficiency exam (HSPE)? HSPE is an early exit exam, you take it before you graduate. GED is if you dropped out, but decided to finish your diploma.

I think it’s a state thing. You can opt to do high school classes virtually in our state. So you are right, it’s not a GED.

I think it’s a state thing. You can opt to do high school classes virtually in our state. So you are right, it’s not a GED.
Yeah, HSPE in most states is for the people who aren't 18 (must be 15 to take the test in Cali I think).
So it's mostly for people who wants to exit high school early.
It's not a GED, but a diploma equivalent to your state HS (I think... because I was eligible for AB540, which is for Cali HS graduates).

Yeah, HSPE in most states is for the people who aren't 18 (must be 15 to take the test in Cali I think).
So it's mostly for people who wants to exit high school early.
It's not a GED, but a diploma equivalent to your state HS (I think... because I was eligible for AB540, which is for Cali HS graduates).

16 or enrolled in two semesters of 10th grade.

I found a program at my local community college that allows me to earn a real high school diploma. It’s the GED test I believe, but they will hand me a state diploma instead of whatever a GED is. Thanks for all the replies!
Glad to hear that :)
That'll get you a Resident status :)