Can I have some help in making a decision on going forward for after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvting

Reaction score
In my last post I said that I was refused an interview at my school's graduate dental program. Since then I communicated with my predental advisor and got a few ideas of what I could do.

If I retake classes, whether I don't graduate this year or do, I still have to deal with my early college classes that are dragging my overall gpa down to a 3.0 (current undergrad is 3.3). Also, even though I retake some classes it wont matter too much as dental schools will not like that I spent a year retaking a few classes, making me look like I can't handle dental school courses.

My other option is to go post-bach, but in order to have a separate 'advanced gpa' (i think my advisor called it that) I will need 30 credits of high level classes that I have never taken before and they all must be A- minimum in order to keep the grade pools separate. Likely while also doing a bunch of dental internship/work, community service, etc. I was also advised on switching to a cheaper institution. This will be all to scrap the bad grades I got when I 16-19.

When I raised concern about getting a minimum of A-, its because I am afraid of just having 1 bad teacher or 1 bad week to completely ruin a grade.

Whats better? Retake classes I did bad in or just go on for a post-bacc? I'm thinking just take the risk with post-bacc.

Members don't see this ad.

You should always retake any prereq courses you failed in.

My opinion is similar to the advice you already got from your predental advisor: your GPA is low enough that a SMP is likely your best shot. It is high-risk, high-reward, but you have to prove that you really can handle the high-level classes. But I would talk to your admissions professional at the graduate dental program if you can.

Sure, it's a risk you'll encounter a bad teacher or a bad week while in an SMP or in dental school.

Reactions: 1 user