Location after graduation question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering after graduating UPENN, UOP, or Columbia, what are the chances of you staying within Philidelphia, San Francisco, or New York? I'm assuming those chances are very small, but I could be wrong. Are there any D4s out there that could provide some insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I was wondering after graduating UPENN, UOP, or Columbia, what are the chances of you staying within Philidelphia, San Francisco, or New York? I'm assuming those chances are very small, but I could be wrong. Are there any D4s out there that could provide some insight?
I think it depends what you want to do after graduation. I'm guessing if you decided to continue with a residency or AEGD, you have a good chance to stay within those areas. Employment depends on your networking.

I think it depends what you want to do after graduation. I'm guessing if you decided to continue with a residency or AEGD, you have a good chance to stay within those areas. Employment depends on your networking.
With the high COA and saturation in bigger cities, I wonder how possible it is to make it work?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Went to UPenn. Am working in the immediate suburbs of Philadelphia. Am making very good money. I was able to find a job wherever I wanted to find a job.
And managed to graduate with 200k in loans? I’m very impressed. You need to write a post on how to save money lol. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: 1 user
And managed to graduate with 200k in loans? I’m very impressed. You need to write a post on how to save money lol. Thanks for sharing!
Worked hard in undergrad, got a scholarship to Penn. Graduated a semester early from undergrad and worked, saved up money for school for 6 months before dental school started. Lived at home throughout dental school. Had no housing expense, no food expense. Really just had to pay for school and for the commute. All of this added up to save me a substantial amount of money. Nothing groundbreaking. Just little things over time.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it harder for someone who is from the east coast and went to their in-state (cheaper) dental school to get a job in the west coast if they want to live in the west coast? I heard that getting jobs is mostly about networking. How does one get a job in a new state? How does it work with licensing and boards?

Last edited:
You pretty much answered your own question. Yes, network and make connections. You may have to work at a DSO if you can’t, and then make connections then. But if you already know this you could start now.

Reactions: 1 users
There's a reason why you get involved in ASDA/SNDA and ADA at the very least. You may also go to other large professional conferences which will welcome current dental students so you can make those connections. Alumni events also meet at those events.

There's a reason why you get involved in ASDA/SNDA and ADA at the very least. You may also go to other large professional conferences which will welcome current dental students so you can make those connections. Alumni events also meet at those events.
This is good advice. Thank you, I will definitely get involved with large professional conferences.

You pretty much answered your own question. Yes, network and make connections. You may have to work at a DSO if you can’t, and then make connections then. But if you already know this you could start now.
I'm wondering if this should be a factor I consider when choosing a dental school. I've been told by most people just to go to the cheapest school.

I'm wondering if this should be a factor I consider when choosing a dental school. I've been told by most people just to go to the cheapest school.
The community of dentists is rather small. Doing well while keeping your debt low gives you much more flexibility.

Reactions: 1 users