Can I list a poster presentation on my CV if I gave the presentation but didn't participate in the research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc512

Reaction score
A member of my lab wasn't able to attend this regional conference so my PI asked me to present the poster in his absence. I was decently familiar with the project since we worked in the same lab, and I spent the weekend beforehand reading over his papers so the presentation ended up going well.

Should I put this on my CV as a presentation if I presented the poster at the conference, but my name isn't on it?

Members don't see this ad.

That’s pretty unusual to have someone who wasn’t an author present a poster. In fact most conferences technically don’t allow it. Realistically they should have given you some authorship for this since the whole point of a poster is that it is, you know, presented.

For the purposes of ERAS counting stats, I think it’s ok to list it since actually going and presenting in front of people in an academic setting is definitely something you should get credit for. Make sure you make note of exactly what you did since it will be odd that you’re not listed as an author. But I don’t think I would put it on your professional CV, as it just looks super weird.

Reactions: 1 user