Can I make it better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTickets

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Below are my stats for applying to medical school. I would prefer an allopathic school because I want the M.D. after my name. However, due to my stats, I looked into DO and it looks appealing as well. I also have only one state school.

No MCAT yet. Plan on taking it next May(2010) and hope to apply in June 2010.

cGPA: 3.05
sGPA: 2.54

I did poor last semester including a D in a science class. It was not a prereq though. I started a business last fall and it took a toll on my grades. I have since dissolved it.

ECs:
Volunteer at Emergency Department Liason - 1 year
Volunteer at Emergency Department Patient Care Tech - .5 year
Volunteer at Animal Shelter - .5 year
Started two online businesses with high revenues(not sure if this is unique or matters)
Small leadership roles
Hockey - 15+ years
Working on getting a semester of research.
Will be training for big college biking event in 2011
Joining the committee that organizes large college biking event

Additionally, assuming I do well in the rest of my classes, I can come out with a cGPA of 3.31 and sGPA of 3.08 or so. I'll have to rock the MCAT as well.

Basically, I would like to hear some comments about application timing. Ideally, I don't want to have to wait until my senior year. I won't be able to take any science classes anyway. I am, however, willing to do so if need be.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. I've realized that I'm not the most competitive applicant and I'm willing to make adjustments, if needed, before I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

If getting into an allo med school is important enough to you, I'd strongly suggest you consider an additional year (or two) of college before you apply so you can get your GPA higher, and even more importantly, get that BCPA GPA much higher (I'm not sure why you "won't be able to take any science" but physics and math classes are included in this number also). If you get a good MCAT score you could alternatively do a Special Masters Program to redeem the low GPA.

I would say you have quite the uphill battle if you really want that MD. If you really put your nose to the ground and get your work done you may have a shot. Get a rocking score on the MCAT. I would say you need at least 33-34+ to be competative.

Whats wrong with DO school though? DO school takes you to the same place. I have quite a few friends that chose DO school over MD programs because they enjoyed the philosophy. It's up to you, but if I were you I would consider adding a few to the list as a back-up.

Thank you for the responses. It really is appreciated.

If I take two more years of undergrad, I would be a 5th year senior. There is nothing wrong with that and I would be able to take more science classes. I would have to delay applying two more cycles instead of one. I can't fit any science classes in my senior year because I'll be trying to fulfill my major.

I like the idea of a DO school. I have never seen them for myself but based on other comments, it seems DO schools genuinely have nicer students and/or faculty. They seem to be relatively laid back in comparison to others. I also hear they teach great clinical medicine. I have no desire to do research.

I have a feeling that as I get closer to applying, I'll want the DO. To be completely honest, nothing attracts me to MD more than DO other than seeing those letters M.D. after my name. It is virtually the same education and being a DO doesn't make someone any less of a competent physician.

Are there any other opinions or suggestions?

Last edited: