Can I please get input on SUNY vs SCCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeLuvOptometry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've found a couple of thread about SCCO vs SUNY, but none that are fairly recent/has been able to help me make a decision.

I am currently going through the application process for optometry school for the entering class of 2013. I got interviews for both SCCO and SUNY. I interviewed at SUNY last week and am very impressed. The professors, the curriculum, the clinic, and the city were all great factors of SUNY. I feel so happy to have been accepted to SUNY and am considering dropping my interview for SCCO. I'm in sort of a dilemma right now because I love SUNY and am thinking that I should just save time and money and not even attend the interview for any other schools. However, I'm scared that I might be missing out on something that SCCO can offer.

I know both schools have really good reputations and curriculums, there is no doubt about that. But I'm looking for an optometry school that I can work hard, but also play hard as well. School sites often emphasize curriculum and clinics, but not really what it is like to live there. I am from Virginia, and I'm looking to spend my next 4 years in a nice location where I can explore. Can someone give me an outlook on what it's like to live in NYC and what it's like to live in Fullerton (exploring/going out)? Can someone also comment on the student dynamic at these two schools (are students friendly, competitive, study all the time ect?) I know these questions sound really silly but I really would like to know the factors that aren't emphasize on theses school's website.

Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Memphis is a cool city. Not the safest place, but there's always stuff going on. NYC is awesome, but more expensive.

One thing to remember: you wont really have time to play. It's not like undergraduate. I would strongly recommend picking based on the building you'll be basically living in and the people you want teaching you.

Memphis is a cool city. Not the safest place, but there's always stuff going on. NYC is awesome, but more expensive.

One thing to remember: you wont really have time to play. It's not like undergraduate. I would strongly recommend picking based on the building you'll be basically living in and the people you want teaching you.

I think you read it too fast, the person said SCCO, not SCO

Members don't see this ad :)
I've found a couple of thread about SCCO vs SUNY, but none that are fairly recent/has been able to help me make a decision.

I am currently going through the application process for optometry school for the entering class of 2013. I got interviews for both SCCO and SUNY. I interviewed at SUNY last week and am very impressed. The professors, the curriculum, the clinic, and the city were all great factors of SUNY. I feel so happy to have been accepted to SUNY and am considering dropping my interview for SCCO. I'm in sort of a dilemma right now because I love SUNY and am thinking that I should just save time and money and not even attend the interview for any other schools. However, I'm scared that I might be missing out on something that SCCO can offer.

I know both schools have really good reputations and curriculums, there is no doubt about that. But I'm looking for an optometry school that I can work hard, but also play hard as well. School sites often emphasize curriculum and clinics, but not really what it is like to live there. I am from Virginia, and I'm looking to spend my next 4 years in a nice location where I can explore. Can someone give me an outlook on what it's like to live in NYC and what it's like to live in Fullerton (exploring/going out)? Can someone also comment on the student dynamic at these two schools (are students friendly, competitive, study all the time ect?) I know these questions sound really silly but I really would like to know the factors that aren't emphasize on theses school's website.

Thank you so much!!

Just wondering, if you were to attend SUNY where would you live (based on the fact that Manhattan is so expensive)? The reason I ask is because I also applied to SUNY but I'm thinking that if I get an interview, I might not even go. Realistically, even if I did get accepted I couldn't afford to live in NY :(

I agree, that there's not going to be that much time to play. But when I do get a break once in a while, I would like to enjoy myself. As for the faculties/academics, both schools seem to both be very good.

Csandova, there's quite a bit of housing options in NY. Manhattan is expensive, but if you look at apartments in Queens (a lot of students live there and take the subway) you can save some money! And you can qualify for in state tuition after 1 year.

Last edited:
SUNY gives you in-state tuition after the 1st year. so you save approx 45k over the four years. this makes it cheaper than SCCO DESPITE the higher rent. further, I agree with the above comment about queens and commuting. My commute is 22 minutes door to door and i pay 800 per month plus bills and live with 2 people. GET ROOMMATES! if you want a place of your own, studios can be 1500 per month within this commuting distance. if you go about 45 minutes out, you are back to 1000-1200 per month to live alone. personally, i think the best place to live is off the queensboro plaza stop since you have the 7 AND the NQ lines right there. also, living in manhattan is OVER-RATED, ie NOT worth the money.

PS, the MORE IMPORTANT questions you should be asking are related to what the school offers you. The patient population in NYC is by far the most diverse and this alone is what provides the best clinical experience (in my opinion). further, the passage rates for the NBEO exams are distinctly a SUNY benefit - WE ARE THE BEST PREPARED for licensure exams. The problem with that is that the classes are unnecessarily difficult - but thats what you paying for, isn't it?