Can I smoke during the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
or vape during the breaks? Serious question, serious replies only please (though I'm sure i'll get a few memes of "we get it, you vape").

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt it. You can't leave the testing center (not even step outside).

Reactions: 1 user
At least the testing center I was at was about the size of a shoebox, meaning you could tell who was nervously sweating and forgot to put deodorant on, so I doubt others would take too kindly to it if you smoked during a breaks. You could probably get away with vaping (in terms of being considerate) but I'd be shocked if they allow any form of smoking anyway.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Most Prometric testing centers basically are kinda cramped office-like and to my knowledge you can't leave the center(offices) so i'd doubt they would let you vape in the hallway--but who knows? You can take your food/snacks and eat them in the hallway--you can even use eye drops if you got irritated eyes but smoking/vaping i'd say would be unlikely.

I doubt it. You can't leave the testing center (not even step outside).

At least the testing center I was at was about the size of a shoebox, meaning you could tell who was nervously sweating and forgot to put deodorant on, so I doubt others would take too kindly to it if you smoked during a breaks. You could probably get away with vaping (in terms of being considerate) but I'd be shocked if they allow any form of smoking anyway.

Most Prometric testing centers basically are kinda cramped office-like and to my knowledge you can't leave the center(offices) so i'd doubt they would let you vape in the hallway--but who knows? You can take your food/snacks and eat them in the hallway--you can even use eye drops if you got irritated eyes but smoking/vaping i'd say would be unlikely.
Thanks for all the feedback. I rarely do it, but when stressed and the long practice exams that's how I spent my breaks.

Thanks for all the feedback. I rarely do it, but when stressed and the long practice exams that's how I spent my breaks.

Not the same psychological routine but you could try nicotine gum for same chemical effect. You would be allowed to chew it during your break, not during testing, of course.

Reactions: 3 users
They do not let you leave the building. Keep some nicotine gum or lozenges and get used to using them under testing circumstances.

At the Culver City Los Angeles Center you have to go outside to another building to use the bathroom, but I don't think there is going to be any way for you to have a vape when they pad you down.

At the Culver City Los Angeles Center you have to go outside to another building to use the bathroom, but I don't think there is going to be any way for you to have a vape when they pad you down.
What if I left it in my locker and accessed it during breaks only?

I've been to one class like that. No AC, no window (underground) %T#$%#$ On a hot,sweaty day in summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have time issues.
My recollection was that breaks went by very fast and involved having to check out at a desk where there was sometimes a line. Checking back in after each break required having a computer read finger prints (that sometimes took a few tries), finding your number in a book then signing that page, and of course, sometimes waiting in line. Plus, factor in whatever else you need to do during the break, use the bathroom, get a drink of water, etc.

Can you get a patch or something instead?

Reactions: 1 users
You might have time issues.
My recollection was that breaks went by very fast and involved having to check out at a desk where there was sometimes a line. Checking back in after each break required having a computer read finger prints (that sometimes took a few tries), finding your number in a book then signing that page, and of course, sometimes waiting in line. Plus, factor in whatever else you need to do during the break, use the bathroom, get a drink of water, etc.

Can you get a patch or something instead?
I tried the patch and it didn't go so well. I'm having trouble adjusting to it, but maybe I'll try the nicotine gum or lozenge instead if the test center won't let me smoke or vape.

I tried the patch and it didn't go so well. I'm having trouble adjusting to it, but maybe I'll try the nicotine gum or lozenge instead if the test center won't let me smoke or vape.
Be careful trying something new on test day. I'd try it out first before your test.

Be careful trying something new on test day. I'd try it out first before your test.
Sorry for not clarifying*. I've tried the patch on other practice exams. I meant in the upcoming weeks I'll give the gum/lozenge a shot during practice test conditions. Great advice not to do new stuff on test day! Ty.

Lockers were locked until the end of the test. Snacks were kept out of the locker and put in a different area.

Really? I've taken MCAT and USMLEs at 3 different Prometric centers and we could access lockers during breaks at all 3 places. People were freaking studying First Aid during breaks on Step 1.

I honestly don't remember if I left during USMLE step 1 or 2.

Step 3 I'm fairly certain I left the center.

ABFM--they told the girl with the MCAT she couldn't leave the center. I didn't realize it was different for different tests, and inquired. He said there's basically no restrictions for some tests.

Really? I've taken MCAT and USMLEs at 3 different Prometric centers and we could access lockers during breaks at all 3 places. People were freaking studying First Aid during breaks on Step 1.

Yup, in a locked room. Some chick had to ask the staff to go in to her purse. You could access the locker your phone was in?

you can only smoke if you bring enough for everyone, just like elementary school where you gotta bring enough snacks for everyone.

Did you find out?
Not yet, calling monday. I'm hoping they'll let me take a few hits off my vape, its quick and if I'm in the hallway and not the test room itself, I don't see why it's a problem.

Not yet, calling monday. I'm hoping they'll let me take a few hits off my vape, its quick and if I'm in the hallway and not the test room itself, I don't see why it's a problem.
i feel you

When I took the new MCAT (which is as long as Step 1 now) I had enough time to go outside and eat a banana, and I'm a really slow eater, but you sound like an anxious smoker. I think you'll be fine. I'd be concerned about the runs from that much nicotine hitting my body in a short amount of time and under stressful conditions, but you do you! Good luck.

You don't see why it's a problem to subject other people's lungs to your poor choices?

Put a fat dip in and gut it

No one is going to let you vape inside. People don't people vap inside air ports and malls , otherwise idiots would be blowing fat clouds everywhere subjecting other people to their individual choices.

Reactions: 3 users
No one is going to let you vape inside. People don't people vap inside air ports and malls , otherwise idiots would be blowing fat clouds everywhere subjecting other people to their individual choices.
That's what I was thinking. You'd probably need to go outside. Yet again, it's obnoxious to blow clouds infront of people, but there are people who start Vaping to quit smoking cigs

I don't know why I had this unrealistic fantasy that my future colleagues wouldn't be indoor vapers.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't know why I had this unrealistic fantasy that my future colleagues wouldn't be indoor vapers.

Yes, you have established your moral superiority loud and clear. Sheesh give the guy a break, he's just trying to find a solution to get his fix, no need to jump all over him about "subjecting other people's lungs to his poor choices".

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks mate. I'm aware its a bad habit and I legitimately rarely do it. I actually abstain from alcohol entirely, out of health and moral considerations. Cigarettes aren't good, I'm well aware. Its hypocritical I even ask to do something so bad for me while taking a test to become a physician who would advise patients to do otherwise.

You don't see why it's a problem to subject other people's lungs to your poor choices?
Believe it or not, I actually do.

I'm not a fan of "clouds" or whatever. The setting I have my mod on makes it minimal...the "cloud" of vapor is less than a traditional cigarette.

That's what I was thinking. You'd probably need to go outside. Yet again, it's obnoxious to blow clouds infront of people, but there are people who start Vaping to quit smoking cigs

I was hoping I'd be able to get away with it in the hallway or bathroom or something.

I smoke only during the MCAT - relax. I'm just trying to figure this all out before test day.

I called and asked - the answer is nope lol!

If you need the Nicotine that much and feel as if your performance would suffer without it--try the patch. They should let you use this, but call ahead to be sure.

If you need the Nicotine that much and feel as if your performance would suffer without it--try the patch. They should let you use this, but call ahead to be sure.
OP should be fine with the patch/gum/lozenge. People use patch and lozenges for medical reasons as well.

UPDATE: I FREAKING SURVIVED :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: 2 users