Can I still get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bball1984

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a high GPA (3.81 overall, 3.66 BCPM), good EC's, etc. However, I scored poorly (below 20) on the MCAT in April and retaking the test in August. Will schools still give me a shot in spite of this low score? If I raise it from this to say, a 26-27, will the low first time MCAT hurt my chances? Thanks for opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

i bet if you raise it up you could get in

good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
UVMTrifecta said:
i bet if you raise it up you could get in

good luck! :luck:

Get at least a 25, you'll have at least a good shot with DO places.

You have very good grades... good enough to apply to allopathics even... just get your MCAT up. They may ask in an interview why the first score was significantly lower, but I don't think they'll hold it against you. Try to figure out what your weaknesses were on the last exam and how to better prepare this time around. Sounds like maybe you need to switch your study technique. The MCAT is a beast of a test and sometimes you gotta switch it up like that. Good luck.

yes you can definatly still get in....with my stats...if people say i still have hope....your wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better...all you need to do is improve those MCATs and everything else is really goood....so just work on that and your good to go!

goodluck

no. from my understanding the admissions won't even see that first score if you retake it. i used to think when applying that all my mcat scores would show up on every application, but this forum made it very clear that they wouldn't.
either way the choice is clear, you need to retake it. below 20 is not good enough for a MD or DO. you have good grades, now just study and focus on your weak areas of the mcat and bring it up to atleast a 25 for a DO school and 28 for MD. more than likely a school will accept you granted everything else goes well (interview, EC, etc).

spo01 said:
no. from my understanding the admissions won't even see that first score if you retake it. i used to think when applying that all my mcat scores would show up on every application, but this forum made it very clear that they wouldn't.
either way the choice is clear, you need to retake it. below 20 is not good enough for a MD or DO. you have good grades, now just study and focus on your weak areas of the mcat and bring it up to atleast a 25 for a DO school and 28 for MD. more than likely a school will accept you granted everything else goes well (interview, EC, etc).

Im pretty sure you are dead wrong. THey see all your scores, unless its changed since I applied in 04.