1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can I still get in?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bball1984, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bball1984

bball1984 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a high GPA (3.81 overall, 3.66 BCPM), good EC's, etc. However, I scored poorly (below 20) on the MCAT in April and retaking the test in August. Will schools still give me a shot in spite of this low score? If I raise it from this to say, a 26-27, will the low first time MCAT hurt my chances? Thanks for opinions.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bball1984

bball1984 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
  4. DrFeelgoodMD

DrFeelgoodMD below is a TRUE avatar...
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    i bet if you raise it up you could get in

good luck! :luck:

5. Corrupt200

Corrupt200 Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Podiatrist
    Get at least a 25, you'll have at least a good shot with DO places.

6. Faraaz23

Faraaz23 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You have very good grades... good enough to apply to allopathics even... just get your MCAT up. They may ask in an interview why the first score was significantly lower, but I don't think they'll hold it against you. Try to figure out what your weaknesses were on the last exam and how to better prepare this time around. Sounds like maybe you need to switch your study technique. The MCAT is a beast of a test and sometimes you gotta switch it up like that. Good luck.

7. Hope14

Hope14 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    yes you can definatly still get in....with my stats...if people say i still have hope....your wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better...all you need to do is improve those MCATs and everything else is really goood....so just work on that and your good to go!

goodluck

8. spo01

spo01 Member
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

no. from my understanding the admissions won't even see that first score if you retake it. i used to think when applying that all my mcat scores would show up on every application, but this forum made it very clear that they wouldn't.
    either way the choice is clear, you need to retake it. below 20 is not good enough for a MD or DO. you have good grades, now just study and focus on your weak areas of the mcat and bring it up to atleast a 25 for a DO school and 28 for MD. more than likely a school will accept you granted everything else goes well (interview, EC, etc).

9. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, you can get in.

10. Buckeye(OH)

Buckeye(OH) 5K+ Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

Im pretty sure you are dead wrong. THey see all your scores, unless its changed since I applied in 04.