Can i still get into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wongj1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't do too well in my first 2 years in college ( i go to a university in California) . I currently have a 2.8 gpa and have C's on my transcript .I have 2 more years to go and figured out why ive been getting low grades and I know how to change that. If i get a sub 3.0gpa (3.1-3.2) when i graduate do i stand a change to get into pharmacy school? I prefer to go to pharm school in CA but i know its very competitive b/c CA schools don't require PCAT so gpa is a huge factor. But i wouldn't mind going out of state. Does anyone have similar stats and has been successful?

I will be graduating Spring 2014 and hoping i can enter pharm school Fall 2104, so that means i have to apply in Summer 2013 right? I don't know whether i should apply in Summer 2013 or 2014... If my gpa is 3.0 in summer 2013 should i apply to pharm school? or should i wait and take more classes and try to get 3.1-3.2 gpa? If i apply in summer 2013 and don't get into any schools and reapply the next year, does that affect my chances? Do schools normally allow for readmission?

I got a C in ochem1 and C+ in ochem2. I want to retake this course as i know it is essential to pharm school. If i take it in community college will admissions look down on it? since i took the class 2 times and once at university and the at cc? If i get a better grade, will my grade be replaced? Also i took calc1 and econ1 at cc during summer after highschool and got a B and A. will these 2 grades be factored into my gpa?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got a C in ochem1 and C+ in ochem2. I want to retake this course as i know it is essential to pharm school. If i take it in community college will admissions look down on it? since i took the class 2 times and once at university and the at cc? If i get a better grade, will my grade be replaced? Also i took calc1 and econ1 at cc during summer after highschool and got a B and A. will these 2 grades be factored into my gpa?

Definitely retake ochem. No, your grade will be averaged on PharmCAS. All college grades recorded on official transcripts will be inputted into PharmCAS and factored into your GPA.

I will be graduating Spring 2014 and hoping i can enter pharm school Fall 2104, so that means i have to apply in Summer 2013 right? I don't know whether i should apply in Summer 2013 or 2014... If my gpa is 3.0 in summer 2013 should i apply to pharm school? or should i wait and take more classes and try to get 3.1-3.2 gpa?

I think it would be good to have a GPA above 3.0 to be competitive especially in CA. Maybe it would be a good idea to contact the schools you're looking into to get some advice.

If i apply in summer 2013 and don't get into any schools and reapply the next year, does that affect my chances? Do schools normally allow for readmission?

I don't think it looks badly on you as long as you did something to strengthen your application. I applied to a school and got invited for an interview even though I was outright rejected the year prior (ouch). The second time I applied, I had more pharmacy and volunteer experience. Also, I'd like to think I submitted a better essay the second time around (haha).

I got a C in ochem1 and C+ in ochem2. I want to retake this course as i know it is essential to pharm school. If i take it in community college will admissions look down on it? since i took the class 2 times and once at university and the at cc? If i get a better grade, will my grade be replaced?

I took a lot of my pre-pharmacy requirements in a community college and then went to a university for my bachelor's degree. I don't think I had problems getting interviews. On the other hand, I don't really know if it will matter when you've taken the course in a university before. According to PharmCAS, both grades will be included in the GPA calculation.

"PharmCAS will include ALL initial AND repeated course work in its GPA calculations (including those repeated under freshman forgiveness, academic bankruptcy, and other related institutional policies)."

thanks rei1088 for your advice! I will apply in the next cycle hoping to strengthen my gpa and gain more volunteering/ pharmacy experience this yr.