Can I still get into Pharmacy School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jestel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a second year undergrad and have taken 18 hours a semester. My gpa after this semester dropped due to a D in Organic I to a 2.9. I will be taking this over next year in the Fall and have decided to proceed with Organic II. The professor's test were impossible to say the least and I am certain I know the material. I ended up with a B in the lab. My sciences in Freshman year (bio I and Chem I were C-). I will also be taking Chem I over in the Fall of next year to up the grade. I am very discouraged after receiving the D and wondered if I have a chance. I really want to do this and had planned to apply this next Fall but believe it safer to wait and take some things over to up my science GPA. If you could give me some thoughts on this would appreciate your input. I am also going to take the PCAT this summer to see where I am as far as scoring at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have an upward trend in grades from now on and a decent PCAT score, you still have a chance. Definitely retake the classes you did poorly in and get A's. Really do take your time and do well in your classes. Don't rush through thinking a B or C is good enough! Also try to get some extracurricular in such as clubs, volunteering, and pharm tech.

I am a second year undergrad and have taken 18 hours a semester. My gpa after this semester dropped due to a D in Organic I to a 2.9. I will be taking this over next year in the Fall and have decided to proceed with Organic II. The professor's test were impossible to say the least and I am certain I know the material. I ended up with a B in the lab. My sciences in Freshman year (bio I and Chem I were C-). I will also be taking Chem I over in the Fall of next year to up the grade. I am very discouraged after receiving the D and wondered if I have a chance. I really want to do this and had planned to apply this next Fall but believe it safer to wait and take some things over to up my science GPA. If you could give me some thoughts on this would appreciate your input. I am also going to take the PCAT this summer to see where I am as far as scoring at this point.

My thoughts are that you should seriously contemplate if pharmacy school is right for you. If it is, you'll find a way. However, pharmacy school is hard..harder than undergrad..don't waste time and money only to find yourself in over your head. That's not to say you can't do it, you'll just really have to want it. Also, I'd get my bachelors if I were you- ups your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts are that you should seriously contemplate if pharmacy school is right for you. If it is, you'll find a way. However, pharmacy school is hard..harder than undergrad..don't waste time and money only to find yourself in over your head. That's not to say you can't do it, you'll just really have to want it. Also, I'd get my bachelors if I were you- ups your chances.

I agree. Evaluate your options and interests. Maybe something science-based isn't for you? I really don't know you so I don't want to be too discouraging, but maybe you would be better suited in another field. If you decide pharmacy is REALLY what you want to do, go for it all the way (but go for it after you get the grades up and/or get a bachelor's degree).

Thank you, that's what everyone is telling me to get the B.S. degree to up my chances. I think it is also a good idea to have the degree. My medical adviser thinks I took to many science and math based classes in one semester. I am only taking 15 this semester which will give me more time to focus on the Org and Bio II classes. Hopefully this semester with a different Professor for Org II will be a different scenario. The Org I put me on a downward trend at this point so maybe next semester will give me some hope!

I agree, not to be a wet blanket but those kind of grades in intro science classes are indicative of the wrong career choice.

Thank you, that's what everyone is telling me to get the B.S. degree to up my chances. I think it is also a good idea to have the degree. My medical adviser thinks I took to many science and math based classes in one semester. I am only taking 15 this semester which will give me more time to focus on the Org and Bio II classes. Hopefully this semester with a different Professor for Org II will be a different scenario. The Org I put me on a downward trend at this point so maybe next semester will give me some hope!

Not to be a downer but if you cannot handle the workload now, you are likely not going to be able to handle pharmacy school. It does not get easier as you progress through the classes and the amount of information you are responsible for exponentially increases. You might want to look into other career options.

I took to many classes one semester back when I wasn't really trying. I think I had like 21 credits per semester? Yet... I managed some ok grades, others not so.

I took -
Microecon - C
Anatomy & Physiology 2 - D :(
General Bio II & Lab - F :(
Calculus 1 - A
Womens Lit - B
Gen Chem II - B

The worst semester in college I think I had EVER. Yet I had no idea what I wanted to be at the time, still had another semester like that, but managed to graduate with a 2.6ish gpa with over 60 credits with a B.A and didn't retake my classes until the following year and knew what I wanted to do. And my grades are so much better now.... funny that. :)

So trying to just say - don't give up hope!!! If you want to do pharmacy, so do it. But don't let one semester bring you down. Failures make people stronger in the long run.

Just make sure this is what you want.

Try to pull up your gpa by retaking classes you didn't do well in.

it is only your second year in undergrad so don't be discouraged. i have around the same GPA and received acceptances and interviews, so there is definitely a chance at you getting into a school of your choice. like everyone else said, retake the prerequisite courses you got less than a C- in and i highly recommend obtaining a pharm tech job asap. by showing an improvement in grades and a motivation to pursue pharmacy through experience, you will be placing yourself on the same level as someone with a higher gpa but no experience. don't give up and good luck.