Can i take college credit for chemistry and Spanish based on high school AP chemistry and AP Spanish credit scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurebio

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Can i take college credit for chemistry and Spanish based on high school AP chemistry and AP Spanish credit scores as a freshman in college. Does these chemistry and Spanish college credits/AP credits will be considered also for the premed minimum qualification credits also.
2. Which high school AP subjects credits good for college credits and for premed credits. Thank You in advance for your advise.

Members don't see this ad.

We really can’t answer your questions. The answers are dependent on your college and the med schools you apply too.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you use AP credits to get out of gen chem, many schools will not accept that for their chemistry credit requirements. You can often get around that by taking additional advanced chemistry courses instead, but only you can decide if that’s worth it to you. If you like chemistry/want to major in it, then worth it. But if upper level chem courses might be extremely difficult for you, maybe just take gen chem.

(I used AP credits to get into an accelerated chem course, so I needed an extra semester of chem for some schools that required 2 semesters of gen chem. I fulfilled that with biochem, but I think a lot more schools now expect biochem on its own than was the case when I applied, so you may need different chem courses. Will vary widely by school).

Reactions: 1 user
If you use AP credits to get out of gen chem, many schools will not accept that for their chemistry credit requirements. You can often get around that by taking additional advanced chemistry courses instead, but only you can decide if that’s worth it to you. If you like chemistry/want to major in it, then worth it. But if upper level chem courses might be extremely difficult for you, maybe just take gen chem.

(I used AP credits to get into an accelerated chem course, so I needed an extra semester of chem for some schools that required 2 semesters of gen chem. I fulfilled that with biochem, but I think a lot more schools now expect biochem on its own than was the case when I applied, so you may need different chem courses. Will vary widely by school).
1) Yes and the reason for this is that gen chem I and II are "weeder" courses, aptly named cuz the ones who can't excel in them get weeded out. 'Nuff said.
2) Very true and it will help you in medical school (EVERY medical school requires biochem and it is the foundation of many further courses including physiology)

Reactions: 1 users