Can I take Step III while in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ophtho24

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A Resident at my program told me that you have to take step III during your residency, another one told me that you cant take it until after you complete your intern year. Some students at my school think they can take it before we even graduate. Anybody know what the real deal is?

Members don't see this ad.

Check out:http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/2004/communicating.htm#reps and from the FSMB:
Step 3 Eligibility Requirements

The USMLE program requires the following to be completed prior to submitting a Step 3 application:

Obtain an M.D. degree (or its equivalent) or a D.O. degree (or its equivalent).
Pass both USMLE Steps 1 and 2.
If a graduate of a foreign medical school, obtain certification by the ECFMG or successfully complete a "Fifth Pathway" program.
Meet the requirements for taking Step 3 imposed by the individual licensing authority to which you are applying to sit Step 3.
You must be eligible to sit for Step 3 at the time you submit the application.

If you have taken the Step 3 previously, you may not reapply prior to 60 days from the date of the prior Step 3 administration.
The USMLE program limits all individuals to three attempts at a Step within a 12 month period. You may not apply for a fourth attempt at Step 3 prior to the expiration of 12 months from the date of the first Step 3 administration.

I think pretty sure that each state has it own rules. I know that some students have taken the step III just after the step II...some first yer resd.

good luck