Can I take the English Prerequisite Pass/Fail

Started by No2Pencil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

No2Pencil

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

Most medical schools require one semester to one year of english. I am wondering: Can I take these prerequisite english courses pass/fail?

Thanks.
 
I think you need a letter grade, or at least AP credit. But I do know that Harvard (and some others) require that it be in-residence
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it'd probably be a gpa booster, anyway, so better off taking it for a grade.

English as a GPA booster?

Maaaan, in Canada English was one of the hardest courses to take as an undergrad. English profs hate pre-meds cuz they know they take the course only cuz they need it for med school. I managed to scrape out of there with BARELY an A, and I worked so hard for it.

OP maybe you should ask some of the medical schools you're applying to what they think.

But generally prereqs are not to be taken pass fail. :luck:
 
If your university offers summer classes, try to wait until then to take it.
The university of Cincinnati is still on quarters, and the summer classes are 3.5 weeks long. Which, as you can guess, doesn't leave much time to teach or learn much material. Last summer I typed two papers, one 3-5 pages long, and one 6-8 pages long. and this most recent summer, I only had to type one research paper that was only about 13 pages (8-10 was req.).

tl;dr

summer classes = fast paced but light workload = easy A.
 
I took both of my English classes pass/fail. Didn't seem to affect getting interviews. That's my experience, it may not be yours. Best of luck making the decision. =)
 
Why take English P/F? Just take it as a grade..english is generally pretty easy..make sure you look over the prof first though...
 
Take as a grade.
It is not that difficult. Out of all of my english classes, my last and highest one was the easiest :zip: The professor was super laid back so you just never know, it might be an easy A