Can i use this research experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clsr2nrvna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am lacking in the research area i think. As a psych major i took Design Analysis I & II in which i designed a research experiment, but never took Design III in which i would have actually carried out the experiment. Will this help me at all?

Also, i worked for a large university for about 2 years helping an extensively published MD in publication/presentation preparation, article research, and limited data analysis/management. However, my name never appeared on anything. Would this count towards anything?

I'm trying ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Also, i worked for a large university for about 2 years helping an extensively published MD in publication/presentation preparation, article research, and limited data analysis/management. However, my name never appeared on anything. Would this count towards anything?

Dang you got played like a tape. It'll be better than nothing but not as good as having your name on the stuff. But you already knew that.

Research that was conducted during a class does not count towards research experience. Since you never carried it out, I would have to imagine it wouldn't count as well ;).

It would be tough to take any sort of credit for the doctor's research, although since you did contribute to it, it may be worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Class research definitely doesnt count as experience.

Wait, does research done for credit count as experience when you do your own project individually(however maybe not getting results enough to get published) and when its all independent study?

Wait, does research done for credit count as experience when you do your own project individually(however maybe not getting results enough to get published) and when its all independent study?

Yes, I believe that does count as research experience, so long as it isn't a required part of a class like cell bio, micro, etc.

Individual research projects for credit where you work in a lab with graduate students definetly counts as research.
To OP: You may not get your name on anything, but if you can show that you understand the nature of research and picked up important skills from these experiences, you'll be fine. Perhaps discuss some results and why they were attained with some knowledge of the relevant history.

I am lacking in the research area i think. As a psych major i took Design Analysis I & II in which i designed a research experiment, but never took Design III in which i would have actually carried out the experiment. Will this help me at all?

I'm trying ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ :oops:

Try to incorporate some aspects of your research into your secondary essays for prompts such as "What type of project or research have you been involved and how is it going to make you a better physician?" More importantaly, let the adcoms know what you got out of your work... Trust me, it helps!