Can this clinical research associate position count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilentAnon_404

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am a 4th year and I have been trying to find clinical experience. Unfortunately I have been rejected from student-run clinics and the hospice I applied to isn't accepting people right now.

I go to UCD and I was emailed by them about the "EMRAP" program, which is basically an emergency department clinical research position. I found this position to be very interesting and something I can probably get into.
Here is a quick description:
"Volunteering as an research associate in EMRAP, provides a unique opportunity to learn about the field of clinical research, observe emergency department operations, and learn from physicians, nurses and staff of the emergency department. Research in emergency medicine can identify fundamental issues of health-care delivery and can improve the quality of emergency care for patients."

And here is the link to the website: Emergency Medicine Research Associate Program (EMRAP) | UC Davis Health

I plan on taking 2 gap years, so I can do some additional clinical job during the gap year + shadowing. I'm wondering whether I should just commit to that or is this something worth doing? (Clinical experience is the thing I need the most right now).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

This is in the emergency department and you are interacting with people who are emergency department patients so it checks the "clinical" box.
It isn't shadowing so you'll need some of that on the side.
Don't classify this as research on your application although it doesn't sound as if you'd plan to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
This looks like a great opportunity. It can count as clinical experience and seems like an activity that will give you good experiences to write about on your application. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@LizzyM Thank you very much. I will already have ~1500 to ~2000 hrs of research so I don't plan on using this as that.

@SahilMehtaMD Thank you for the feedback, much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
Be careful—it says observe ED “operations,” which might mean be in the ED but it also may mean you’re watching behind the scenes and crunching numbers for QI projects, etc. I would ask explicitly if there is patient contact before you take the job if clinical exposure is your goal

Be careful—it says observe ED “operations,” which might mean be in the ED but it also may mean you’re watching behind the scenes and crunching numbers for QI projects, etc. I would ask explicitly if there is patient contact before you take the job if clinical exposure is your goal
From anecdotes on reddit of people who have done this program, they say that they interact with patients by talking to them and getting their medical information/data. There's also interaction with other doctors in the ED.