Can International students studied and trained in US get license here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medcraving

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

This maybe a dumb question but I was told by a US MD that when she went through the licensing process, they had PR or citizenship as one of the licensing requirements. I am wondering if that is true as I am a Canadian accepted to a DO school. This will make a difference in my choice of application.

Thanks in advance!!
 
In order to do residency or practice in the United States as a non citizen or non pr you would need some sort of visa to legally work.
 
I heard it is difficult to get into rotations and residency when not a citizen. It is not the school but the places you are dealing with after.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about getting licensed in the states if I do manage through rotation and residency? I'm very worried that if I cant, all the years of work will go down the drain. 🙁
 
No that won't be a problem as long as you get some sort of visa to work legally you will be able to practice and get licensed.